New Display assembly, Screen dark, Charging sound every 5 seconds

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by colby77, Dec 10, 2013.

1. colby77 macrumors newbie

The phone worked great except that i dropped my phone and broke the display, So I installed a new display assembly and the phone came on but the touch display was wonky, it responded spastically. So i powered it off and checked to make sure everything was connected correctly inside. I reconnected everything and I rebooted it and the screen did not turn on. When i plug it into a power source it vibrates and it dings every 5 seconds over and over. The phone is found in iTunes and it shows the battery %. I also could restore it through i tunes as well. If left charging it gets really hot and the battery dies quickly when unplugged. Also when i try to sync it says that it cannot because i need to "unlock" it with a pass code I hit the "try again" and it eventually syncs.

HOW DO I FIX THIS?!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Sounds like you lost more than just a cracked screen when you dropped it. Did you also replace the digitizer? That's usually part of the screen, but maybe you got a bad part? The circuit board (logic board) may be gone, too.
    The drop could have damaged one of those ribbon cables, (not just a loose connection)

3. colby77, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

colby77 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I did not replace the digitizer. While fixing it everything worked just fine I know this because I used it with only the digitizer and no glass, then plut it back together and now it will not power on. No faulty parts were purchased because I only bought new glass, Not the digitizer and glass combo.

So basically what I am saying is that I know the logic board is good and working but it will not power on unless plugged into the charger and the display no does not work. Any other thoughts as to how to troubleshoot this?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

As a guess, your accident slightly distorted the digitizer, and it works without the glass in place. In that event, the set of digitizer/display needs to be replaced - or, additionally, you have a faulty connector or ribbon, or a slight crack in the main circuit board. And, you get a fail when all parts are in place, because one of the connectors moves slightly, or the crack separates enough to make a fail.
    How to troubleshoot? You'll need to try some other parts/cables.
    If that were mine, I don't have access to all the parts, but there's a phone repair kiosk at the mall. I suspect they've seen that before.
    Or, you can continue to guess here...

5. Baynix macrumors newbie

Same problem with my 4s

My 4s didnt fall, plus no scratch. But it wont come up, i tried to restore.. still same black screen and continuous Charging alert every 5seccs.

Have you resolved yours?? Let me know please!! :(

6. WildBill9478 macrumors newbie

This is definitely screen related. Me and a friend (both of us do repairs) just finished fighting this exact problem for the past 3 hours or so. I suggest taking the original screen (IF it is an original Apple screen) and hooking it up. For some reason the multiple screens that we attempted to install did not work after we hooked up the faulty first screen we tried. We got the black screen and the repeated charging sounds the phone makes ever 5-6 seconds or so. We finally figured out that the screen we were replacing was not original and it was also a replacement. We found an old cracked original 5c screen and hooked it up, performed a hard reset, and voila... Apple Logo. After that we tried a different new after market screen and it worked. Out of curiosity, we then hooked up the original aftermarket screen that started this entire ordeal to see if we could recreate the problem and boom. Did it again. So we fixed it with the method explained above again and the iPhone is now functioning properly with the owner. I have no idea how or why this worked but this is what we did to fix it. Could be a wild coincidence. Who knows. Worth a try though.