New Display coming?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HCEG, Jun 13, 2011.

1. HCEG macrumors newbie

Hi All

I have noticed that here in the UK two of our largest electrical retailers, John Lewis and Curry's, seem to have discontinued the 27" ACD.

I am looking to buy a couple of new monitors now that I have converted across to MAC (and feel a much better person for it!), but am concerned about having to resort to buying "used" monitors sold on eBay.

Any advice or intel?

Many thanks

2. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

3. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

I would think Apple will update them soon to at least incorporate the Thunderbolt technology. Unfortunately no one know when that will happen. Depleting stock levels is a good sign though.

If you dont need it urgent, I would recommend waiting for now.

4. HCEG thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the advice.

Will wait with baited breath!

5. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

An extra Thunderbolt port and an upgraded Facetime HD camera would be very nice additions. Along with a drop in price. ;)

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Dont count on the price drop lol.

7. nutmac macrumors 68040

And make it a matte screen and I will take one now.

8. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

They can't do much to it right? Basically facetime HD and thunderbold ports, maybe two for daisy-chaining? I don't think the design is going to change.

9. HCEG thread starter macrumors newbie

Have just read that (allegedly) Apple are holding on to new hardware updates, such as LCD Cinema Displays, until they launch Lion OSX.

Let's hope they don't try to sell the displays in the same way that they are suggesting that they are going to sell Lion - that WOULD take some bandwidth!

10. sir42 macrumors 6502

I'd love to see them bring back a 24" model. The 27" is just too big for me.

11. jenzjen macrumors 68000

The 24 is still sold via the Apple refurbished store

12. sir42 macrumors 6502

I was actually just looking at the refurbished store and they only seemed to have 27".

13. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Stock is continually refreshed, use refurbme.com to notify you ... looks like a 24 was there just a few days ago.

14. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

mate, TB is useless on a screen

it makes sense to have a TB port on a Mac because you will link several devices

not on a screen

15. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

Thunderbolt hub.

16. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

I agree with you.

If you have an iMac or other computer with two Thunderbolt ports, what's the need for a TB port on an ACD LED 27" :confused:

17. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Wish list:

1) 21.5" and 27" models

I could see Apple doing this. 27" is overkill for most people, including students who are snapping up MacBook Airs and would like a larger external monitor for desktop work. 21.5" would make sense and would probably sell like hotcakes, especially if Apple makes it substantially cheaper. The 27" should come down a bit in price, too.

2) Matte option on the 27"

The 27" model is most popular with "pro" users, many of whom would love a matte option. Apple already does this with the larger MBPs, so I don't see why they couldn't do it with a cinema display. Probably not going to happen, but would make sense.

3) Thunderbolt ports

This seems like a given. Could be useful for daisy chaining.

4) HDMI

This would be so nice, but I kind of doubt Apple will go there. Still, there's a slight possibility since the Mac mini recently acquired HDMI.

18. HCEG thread starter macrumors newbie

I totally agree. I think that Apple need to stop catering for just Designers and the more technologically advanced out there. Some of us mere business bods love to use Apple too and don't need acres of visual display taking up our workspace.

The 27" is too large to put on every desk in the office. My designer has a 24" which works fine for her (although she wouldn't say no to a 27"), but for me a slightly smaller screen would be more efficient and suitable.

Come on Apple - you've taken our business from Blackberry and PC, now gives us the complete range of tools, as the other vendors do, to do our jobs (no pun intended, really).

19. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Thunderbolt doesn't use hubs, it uses daisy chaining. The 27" ACD goes at the end of the chain. Providing a hub is totally pointless, and will simply add to the cost of the screen.

20. stefmesman macrumors 6502

thunderbolt will delete the extra USB plug you need to acces the USB ports on the back. also they could make a firewire800 port on the back of the cinemadisplay. the reason why the screen needs to be on the end of the chain is because the current cinema display doesnt have the throughput of thunderbolt. Adding thunderbolt seems logical because then you can use it anywhere in the chain. and tbh id rather hook up my mbp to a screen then to an HDD > Screen. to prevent on desk clutter.

21. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

FW800? Why bother. Added cost for a port that is unused by the vast majority of Mac owners. You've got a FW800 port on your machine, use that instead. The cost of providing a port, and re-designing the enclosure makes it pointless. Apple made it clear that they don't want FW on displays when they scrapped the FW400 ports for USB on the 24" ACDs.

The screen goes on the end of the chain because it's DisplayPort, nothing to do with Thunderbolt and throughput. There's also the fact that if Apple make the display use Thunderbolt it will not work on Macs without Thunderbolt - so anybody running a Pre-2011 release Mac is shafted. The iMacs show this problem - target display mode (ie: using iMac as a display) only works on Thunderbolt - Thunderbolt connections, not MDP to Thunderbolt.

HDD to display, display to HDD, what's the difference? Same number of cables on the desk.

Re-designing the 27" for Thunderbolt is a) unecessary b) expensive and c) stops it being used by any Mac apart from a brand new one. It'll get a silent bump at some point to Facetime HD, but that's about it.

22. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Thunderbolt and probably a hd camera will be given in the next update. REALLY wish for a matte option.

23. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

The ACD's input cable is designed to plug into the MBP's USB, Thunderbolt/MinDisplay and Magsafe ports.

Makes sense to have these three connections going to the one machine with a pass-through Thunderbolt port on the display going to an external HD (or whatever).

Also, given the length of the split section of the display's cable, you'd most likely have to use an extension cable to reach an external HD, so more cable is required.

24. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Once an extension cable is plugged in, if one is needed, it becomes a single cable...just longer.

Of course it's not elegant - but then it never was for Mac Pro owners (who don't want MagSafe), MacBook Air owners (who have MDP and MagSafe on opposite sides that barely reach) etc. etc.

25. Cox Orange, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

yes and a 22" with 16:10... (I'd like to use my display for working and movies. Btw, I saw a 4:3 movie a few days ago and you could see a man shot from the bottom upwards. The effect was to make him look more impressive (an evil character). Imagine how that effect works, when you have lots of space left and right... but I am getting off topic now.