New display for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by peejack, Apr 8, 2010.

1. peejack macrumors 6502a

I am getting a new Mac Pro and am looking at these two screens:

LG E2350V 23" LED Monitor
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/194603

Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24" Monitor
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/174584

Both look pretty awesome to me, but I wondered if anyone had opinions on what would be best for use with my Mac.

Mainly doing web design and Logic, and looking for a nice clear sharp picture.

The both have 1920x1080 res but obviously one is 24" LCD and one is 23" LED.

Comments?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Can you go and see them in action? I'm sure both are great but seeing and playing with them live is something that you can't do through internet (yet) :cool:

3. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can't see them anywhere :( only online.

didn't know if the res would look better on the 23" and with LED rather than the 24" LCD with sam res?

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

They both have TN panels. The background lighting shouldn't make any difference, the panel is still crap, regardless how it is lighted.

I suggest you go into a store and look at them in personal. If TN is fine for you, go for the LED. Instant brightness and less power consumption is always desirable.

5. Raytrace macrumors member

Perhaps you should take a look at the HP LP2475w. They are getting a bit hard to find but you can spot refurbs on eBay. I've been running one of those for some time now with no problems. In fact I've got another one coming from the same seller on eBay.

It has an IPS panel as well as all the inputs you could ever want plus a USB hub.

So yeah, a 24" 1920x1200 IPS Wide Color Gamut monitor for about US$500.

I'd recommend you have a look!

6. policyvote macrumors newbie

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

From what I've read, they're quite decent. User comments support this as well. But the one thing that was mentioned often, is they're garish OTB, and need to be calibrated.

8. Raytrace macrumors member

What it certainly needs is to have the brightness turned down. I calibrated mine and there was very little change in the colors per se but it was way too brilliant.

So yes, a little TLC is required in setup but the potential is there.

9. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    what's the best procedure for calibrating a monitor? I have a latest Dell 2408wfp that I'm using with a Mac Mini 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac mini (Mid 2007). Doesn't really look too good though, for ex. red really stands out. I could just play with it but I was wondering if there might be a better way

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

There's two basic methods I'm aware of:

1. Colorimeter and software (i.e. Xrite Eye-one, Spyder,... branded units - looks like a puck with a USB cable attached). Some software may come with the unit, but there's also 3rd party available as well. (Example of puck + software kit/system). There's much more expensive, and some more basic that's less $$$. I don't know the level you need, so search for some reviews and see if that helps you target what you need if you choose to go this route.

2. Manual calibration using reference images. I've not really gotten into this one, but there are both images and How-To's on photography forums as I understand it. Example.

Personally, I'm using an Eye-One and the software that came with it, as I'd probably mess up the manual method, and it seems like it takes more time than I've patience for. :eek: :p

Hope this helps. :)

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool: NP. :)

12. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

^ how much does the eye-one run? best place to buy for? Maybe I should go that route

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

There was a link in the post that mentioned it, but here it is again. Eye-One Display 2 (puck + software is in the package). $207USD + S/H.

14. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a