New display questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by temiller, Dec 16, 2010.

1. temiller macrumors member

Hey everyone, I searched first, but all I found was threads on the ACD's, and displays running $900+.

I'm looking for a display for my mid 2010 13" MBP. I currently have my MBP and a windows Desktop, but having two computers is more of a hassle than it needs to be when I can just set up a desktop station/dock.

I currently have a 20" monitor, but I want something bigger. I'm looking at 27" monitors. The ACD is way out of my budget (college budget), along with the Dell U2711, and other monitors.

I would like to stay around $300ish for just the monitor. I'm thinking I should get a LED display.

So the question is, whats a great monitor that you would recommend thats moderately priced ($300) thats 27"?

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you also want the resolution of a 27" display (2560 x 1440)? or will 1920 x 1080 be enough?

3. temiller, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

temiller thread starter macrumors member

I would prefer the 2560 x 1440. Although I'm not exactly sure if I'll notice much a difference between 2560 x 1440 and 1920 x 1080. I was looking on Newegg but I remembered I know absolutely nothing about monitors aside from resolutions.

Edit - Now that I looked at a few on Newegg, I think I'm not going to get 2560 x 1440. 1920 x 1080 will be fine. Theres 3 monitors in my price range that I found on Newegg.

ASUS VE278Q
    ASUS VK279Q
    Acer S273HLbmii

4. temiller thread starter macrumors member

After some thinking, How much of a difference will I notice from a LED display and just a regular LCD display?

5. toxic macrumors 68000

LED is a backlight technology. all LED screens are LCDs, the alternative is CCFL. the advantage of LED is no warmup time and lower power consumption.

if you want a 27" at $300, it will be a TN panel. TN panels do not go above 1920x1200, and as far as quality goes, the only way to know is to either read reviews (not user reviews) or see it yourself.

6. temiller thread starter macrumors member

Hopefully I'll be able to find some displays in the area to see before hand. I'll check them out.

One last question. What would be the best cable to use? I'm seeing that these monitors have D-Sub, DVI-D, and HDMI. I'm assuming a Mini-Display port to HDMI or Mini-Display port to DVI-D would probably be the best option?

7. toxic macrumors 68000

I actually don't know what D-Sub is...DVI or HDMI basically depends on what other equipment you might have, the only real difference is that HDMI can carry audio and DVI can't.

8. east1999bt macrumors newbie

I don't notice the difference between LED and non-LED monitors...

Just upgraded to the 27" ACD from 2 24" LG W2486L monitors. You WILL notice a huge difference between 1920x1080 versus the much higher resolution of the 27" ACD. I personally don't like TN panels since the viewing angles are so off... if you are slightly off center all the colors get messed up. But if you're in that $300 budget there's really no other choice.

As far as which connection to use? Whatever is on your computer and on the monitor that supports the resolution. HDMI DVI displayport all will be fine.

9. simsaladimbamba

VGA: [​IMG]

10. toxic macrumors 68000

why can't they just call it VGA -_-

11. temiller thread starter macrumors member

12. uniforms macrumors regular

I would recommend the apple cinema display. You can get a refirb for 599.00 sometimes. The 24 inch model. I have tried other displays and they don't even come close to color or quality. Plus I love having all the cables to power, video and USB. Save your pennies till you can get a ACD. Good luck

13. Transporteur macrumors 68030

You will definitely notice the 80% more real estate of the 2560x1440 resolution! :D

I don't really understand why you're looking for 27" panel with such a low resolution. Believe me it will look like crap compared to other panels.

Rather than going for a 27" TN panel (which is the worst you can buy), I'd recommend you look at 23" or 24" displays with the same resolution, but a decent PVA or e-IPS panel. NEC has a very nice 23" full HD panel with an e-IPS panel in your price range. That display is far superior to that 27" TN crap.

14. temiller thread starter macrumors member

I couldn't justify spending much on a display that I have no real, practical use for aside from the convenience of a larger display.

I'll check out some 24" displays, but I kind of had my heart set on a 27". I'd rather have a display that will look better then having the bigger size.