New Displays Coming?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Benjamindaines, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Are there any kinds of rumors for Macworld 2008 along the lines of new displays?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

They haven't seen a proper refresh in ages, so its quite possible they'll come (with new MPs?) in January :)

3. G4DP macrumors 65816

NOPE NEVER!

apple are never going to update the displays. We're going to be stuck with them for the next 100,000,000,000,000 years. New Mac Pro's will come out before new displays, and we all know how long weve been waiting for them to finally appear.

4. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

It's not rocket science, Apple wont update them until the 30" gets the new LED display. Apple wont update just a 20 and 23 then leave the 30 with the previous technology. They will want to update them in one go.

5. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Which is why they updated the MBPs so the 15" has LED displays but left LCD displays in the 17" :rolleyes:

6. ivan1234 macrumors regular

I haven't seen any rumors of new displays, although I think it would be safe to say that new ones are in the works but their on apple knows then they'll be released.

7. sheperinski macrumors member

Exactly haha! :apple:

8. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Are the old ones really that bad? Still the best-looking monitor out there. I suppose an iSight camera would be nice.

9. Hmac macrumors 68020

Updating to the addition of LED backlighting would be nice.

Putting a camera in the things would be pointless IMHO. It would add unnecessary expense with limited across-the-market value to a display that is already not very competitive from a price standpoint. The smarter move would be to just develop a new iSight camera that will fit on the ACDs.

Anyway, if Apple though that an iSight camera had broad market appeal, they'd be making one, or wouldn't have dumped the one they were selling.

10. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Your logic is flawless. Apple clearly doesn't care for the iSight camera, despite the fact that it is incorporated into every laptop Apple manufacturers, as well as the iMac.

11. Hmac macrumors 68020

Maybe flawed logic. I'm sure you are a lot smarter than I am. You sure sound like it.

I see it from the perspective of someone who doesn't give a flying crap about video chatting or blowing $100/year on AOL...oops, I mean .mac, and really has no interest in the lame novelty of watching or recording myself work at my computer

12. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

and do the numa numa! ¬_¬

13. alljunks macrumors regular

no...they cant...i just bought my ACD...and i love it...

14. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Well then you're confounding an objective fact with your own subjective view.

15. Hmac macrumors 68020

My, my. See how smart you are?

We're very lucky to have you posting here.

16. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

What does an isight have to do with .mac?

I'm guessing the cost of adding an isight is very minimal

and remember just because its there doesn't mean you have to use it.
    Its better to have and not need, than need and not have.

17. Hmac macrumors 68020

The iSight camera sold for $149. The built-ins are smaller, fixed-focus CMOS, presumably cheaper to make. How much does it add to the retail cost of the device?

Why does Apple add that thing to their laptops? To get more people to chat via AIM, or to buy a .mac subscription for iChat? Do people buy MacBooks because they have a built-in camera? Or do they even give a crap? The demand for iSight cameras was low...low enough that they canned them and haven't replaced them. Why is that? Seriously, I don't know.

You and that smug desenso character seem to want a built-in camera. What do you want it for? Seriously, what would be the value to you of having an iSight camera built in to your monitor? My 21 y/o daughter has a MacBook. She uses AIM but never uses the camera or iChat. IN fact mostly uses her iPhone. My wife has a MacBook pro, but she has a piece of tape over the camera. I have an old iSight camera sitting right here in a drawer that we used years ago for iChatting with family until the novelty wore off, but I can't even think what I'd use it for now - besides..it won't fit on my ACDs. Personally, I can't figure it but maybe you are more representative of Apple's market share and have some insight into the issue that I just don't see.

18. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Oh well since 3 people that make up your family don't want one then they shouldn't do it.
    I'll admit I haven't used the isight (built in) in a while...but i did use it when I was away from my girlfriend for extended periods of time and we could see each other through ichat.
    You have to remember though that there are people out there that will want one, even though you don't.
    One use of the isight (outside iChat) is the ability to use it as a barcode scanner for delicious library.

I understand you don't see the use for it. But I'm just saying for the minimal cost it probably takes to add+the extra selling point is worth it....with all their iChat backdrop/screen-share selling points in Leopard.

19. Hmac macrumors 68020

Yeh, but you haven't documented for me what the cost is, nor justified your assumption that it's "minimal"...can you do that?

You're in favor of putting the cameras on, but you don't know how much you're paying for it and you admit that you don't use it. What a compelling proponent you are.

20. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Their not bad, but I would only buy one if it had an iSight in it. Otherwise I can get a 30" a lot cheaper from other companies and most have better specs.

I wish Apple would update them before Christmas, but I'm sure it wont happen. It was going to be on my list, but it looks like I'll be getting a dell, dude. :(