New Displays in 2008?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by inigel, Oct 16, 2008.

1. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

Yes, there have been over 9000 threads on new Cinema Displays and "when are they coming?" posts.

I just read through the "A Greener Apple" post by Steve Jobs on the Apple website and found this interesting line:

Given the new LED Cinema Displays to accommodate the new MacBook and MacBook Pros, this looks promising.

If this is true, will anyone here be purchasing a new Cinema Display?

2. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

I think they'll have to be really super-duper amazing with more ports, LED lit, washer/dryer, mini-fridge built in, for me to sell my 30". Or I suppose they could just introduce a 36" :eek: :D.

3. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

They might as well include a HDMI input. Make it a tv or a lcd for your computer.

that would be sweet.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Apple would have to pay a royalty to use HDMI ($0.04USD) per device, so I wouldn't bet on it. DisplayPort is royalty a free standard. Since they used a miniaturized version in the new laptop 24", I'd think it's highly likely.

ATM, a 24" professional IPS, LED backlit monitor can be had for $2230.00USD (HP DreamColor LP2480zx). Reviews well too. ;) It would be hard, but not impossible for Apple to price in under this. Waiting a bit might just allow them to do it, but I don't know how much they might fall between now and Jan. '09. Assuming of course they release them at the same time as the Mac Pro. Hopefully yes, as they coincided the release of the notebook products. :)

5. jigo macrumors newbie

Not if they all turn glossy.

6. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

I'm wondering if they'll split the ACD's into two lines as some are suggesting. Is this new 24" for notebooks, and they'll release a separate line of matte displays for pro customers? I'll admit that it seems un-apple like to have two lines of display, but I suppose we'll see soon enough when the Mac Pro is updated.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

At this point, it seems logical, and even possible. LED back lighting isn't exactly cheap, and the professional units that use it are beyond what most people would be willing to pay. Especially when the monitor is more expensive than the computer. :eek:

I'm not so sure about the matte finish though. Ultimately, we'd have to wait and see what Apple comes up with. ;)