new docks in store?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by puma1552, Sep 9, 2015.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

kind of bummed, bought a lightning dock about three weeks ago and now they release colored ones - i could always give mine to my wife and grab a gray one for my phone and a silver one for my touch 6g. site says they will be available for personal pickup soon, but are they in stock now for immediate purchase? iirc personal pickup usually lags behind product actually being stocked, no?

2. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

3. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

not sure where you are but they are available in the UK stores, I bought one yesterday

4. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

Out of interest, which colour did you pick up? and if it's the same as your phone how closely do they match up? And is it finished in aluminium or is it plastic like the previous docks?

Sorry about all the questions, but £39 isn't cheap for a dock, wanting to see what the build is like. Cheers pal! :)

5. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

I got gold, however I don't have a gold phone yet!

It feels nice, from a quick look. I've left it wrapped until the 6s arrives

image.jpeg

6. Psyfuzz, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

Very nice, looking at the design I'm a little worried about the lightning connector being the only form of support for the device. For a naked device I'm sure it's fine but considering I'm getting a 'wallet-case' the added weight might be too much for it. :/

7. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

8. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

Apologies I got in late last night. Will have a look today when I get home from work

9. mobutt macrumors 6502

10. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

It is a metallic feel when tapped.

They look very nice and I'm looking forward to using mine when the 6S arrives

11. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

I ordered one the other day through the Apple Store. It shows it won't be available for shipping for 1-2 weeks. Delivers Sep 23-30.

12. Gr81MB, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015

Gr81MB macrumors 6502

Gr81MB

Just Got My Space Gray Dock Delivered! BEAUTIFUL. Nice solid piece, FYI same space gray color as my iPhone 5S. Matches the exact same even in outdoor lighting, darker space gray then i thought it would be, definitely darker then the 6 Plus i have.

Attached Files:

13. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Anyone that has owned these types of docks in the past, is the device pretty stable on it? I will be using an Apple leather case and I know it will fit fine but I do get concerned about the connector wearing over time with the constant use.

I am sure quick replies or interactions with it while dock are out of the question, no?

14. elaniemay, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015

elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

Here's a ridiculous question: how easily are these knocked over? I am interested in purchasing one, but I do have two 6 month old kittens who would very likely investigate its existence on my nightstand...

15. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

easily. To be honest with the way they sit on the small white plastic bit they don't even sit that well on the dock.

16. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

You might want to consider something more like this. Investigative kitty proof. If they knock it over, it doesn't get unplugged but there isn't any strain to the connector either. I love it.

17. elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I was afraid of that. They aren't in the playful kitten phase anymore, but they still are cats and therefore, can be a$$holes for no apparent reason ;) I'll have to get something sturdier!

18. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

so its not as light as the 6/6 plus like the apple site shows? odd

19. Gr81MB macrumors 6502

Gr81MB

Yes, defiantly darker. Im surprised. took photo next to the silver trackpad and its defiantly same color as my Space Gray iPhone 5s spot on, even in outdoor lighting.

20. KRG macrumors regular

KRG

That means the 6S Space Gray will be darker than the current 6, because you be certain it the new phones will match that new dock. Prob the same Space Gray as the new Macbook.

21. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

So, it's a heavy metal block, like a solid piece of aluminum milled out? Or is it just a thin aluminum shell over plastic? How does it compare to previous plastic docks?

22. Oakmhcky21 macrumors member

Feels pretty solid to me. If you look at it from below the white is rubber. I believe its a block of rubber with the aluminum surrounding it.
    IMG_0519.JPG
    IMG_0520.JPG

23. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Thanks, the bottom picture helps. So this probably a solid block of aluminum milled out the same way as everything else. The rubber makes more sense as it protects the phone and makes for a more flush assembly.

I'm still perplexed that they released the white plastic dock only three months ago, and now this much more substantial product. I'm sure there are a lot of upset customers who bought that one, even if it was $10 cheaper. OTOH, my 5S is space gray, even though I wanted silver. So if I buy a space gray dock, it may not match my next iPhone. Not only is the white dock less expensive, it goes with everything!

24. lsh macrumors 6502

I bought the space gray. It's VERY sturdy. The lightning post does not move at all - it's fixed with your own lightening cable plugged in the bag, as the above picture shows. Many 3rd party docks use the lighting cable wedged in an access point as the mount which is generally floppy. This is not.
    The block is sufficiently weighted.

25. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

That's how I felt at first since I bought a white one like 4 weeks ago, just out of the return window when this was announced. I was actually planning on picking up a second one so I could dock both my iPhone 6 and iPod touch 6G next to each other on the desk, and was thinking I'd just give the white one to my wife and pick up both a gray and a silver dock (phone is gray, iPod is silver). but the more I thought about it the more i didn't like the idea of two mismatched docks next to each other on my desk, plus what was mentioned above about the gray dock being darker than the iPhone 6. the ultimate factor though was that i literally just bought a super high gloss white desk, so the white dock matches the desk perfectly, so i just went ahead yesterday and bought a second white dock - life is good here.