New Domain Extensions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by citizenzen, Oct 21, 2014.

1. citizenzen, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

citizenzen macrumors 65816

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Probably still a small market - the .com is still king. But now is the time to snag domains if it is anticipated the domain extension will be popular!

3. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought this would be the crowd of early adopters.

How will they not become popular?

The possibilities have busted wide open.

Get while the getting is good.

4. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Well, .info and .biz have been around for nearly 15 years without serious widespread adoption... I'm sure they will eventually become more popular but right now I can't see why there would be a huge rush.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm now getting tons of email spam from domains other than .com. Apple mail preferences rules to delete spam FTW :D.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I got bemore.social

I didn't like that they have some domains listed as premium, even though they were available. But whatever.

7. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

See? Great domain name.

And I love that there's nothing additional to the URL. Short, sweet, and intuitive.

It is a bummer that it's (IMO) an excellent excuse to jack up prices. I saw a great name for $69/year, and I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on it.

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Another one I was looking at was for $1,000. :rolleyes:

I'm totally going to try and make that domain worth more though. Just have to figure out what I want it to be first, and then what open source script would be a good starting point.

9. localoid, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Having a "great domain name" isn't a magic bullet. You'll still need to create compelling, relevant content, achieve top rankings with the major search engines, etc.

10. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I figure it's like a Hollywood movie. Come up with a killer name first, then the rest falls into place.

But seriously, you're absolutely right. You could call it whatever, and if the content isn't compelling it won't matter how clever the name is.

What I appreciate however is the intuitive quality of the extensions. They actually have real-world meaning and utility. It's a move in the right direction, making the web more natural and less jargony.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I wonder how many GOOD movies (not based on anything else) started with the name before the script. :p I've been dragged to a screenplay critique, I've taken storyboarding and animation, and not once did they bring the attention to the title. They all pretty much say that the content matters more, and especially the first page of a script, and the first sentence of a proposed idea.

Yeah, I think it's a good change. I'm glad they're within normal price range too.

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Is finding a website really that "unnatural" this day and age? Natural-language voice search is becoming more intelligent and common, and you don't need to know the URL, you just need to know how to speak naturally, e.g., say "pizza" to see the closest pizza shops shown on a map.

Data seems to indicate that the typical user pays little attention to the domain name, as the single largest source of incoming web traffic for the average website comes from search engine referrals.

conductor-study-organic-search-47-percent.png

The graphic above is based on research by Conductor, e.g. data was analyzed from 30 websites in six different industries. The data covered one year and included over 310 million visits to the websites.

Conductor then looked at the distribution across specific industries. As the chart below shows YMMV according to the type of industry your website covers.

web-visit-channel-distribution-2.png

Most people only have a handful of sites they visit that type manually type in the URL. You probably type in your bank's URL, for example, or type in forums.macrumors.com, but probably most sites you visit during a typical day are ones you've found via a search.

13. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

His does. I haven't setup mine yet.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a couple and they worked intermittently. I think as time goes on the software and ISPs are fixing the issues.

16. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Intermittently?

Mine works.

Your internet must be broken.

17. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I got it to work, but it doesn't always. I'm pretty sure it's an ISP issue.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, my internet is fine. Depending where I am, i.e., work, home, browsers, will dictate whether they worked. It seems mostly fixed now, so it was more likely an ISP/DNS issue with the new TLDs and not anything to do with my internet.

19. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Nothing "always" works on the internet.

20. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Probably just more than a normal appreciable amount of downtime :rolleyes:

21. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

That would require some form evidence to know for sure.

Impressions alone can be unreliable.

22. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I've known maflynn long enough to know that he knows what he is talking about. Anyways, it's not my problem whether his ISPs gTLD support is spotty :)

Anyways, isn't there a .coffee extension? Someone needs to tell Shrink!

23. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

There is a .coffee!

cupof.coffee is taken.

potof.coffee is available.

enema.coffee ... has already been taken.

:mad:

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Because people are used to .com or .org people will go with what is easiest to remember which is what they are used to. The exception to this is if the change makes something easier or significantly better which these new domains don't, they just make website names more difficult to remember.