New drive for 2010 MP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fedeboraxx, Aug 21, 2010.

1. fedeboraxx macrumors newbie

hey guys,

just wanted your opinion on this. getting a new 2010 MP and changing the boot drive to a WD velociraptor (cant do SSD, too expensive) and putting that 1TB in the second bay. is this a good move? anyone done this?

thanks

fede

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No reason to move the stock drive to Bay 2. The boot drive doesn't have to be in Bay 1.

3. fedeboraxx thread starter macrumors newbie

nice, thanks

and do you guys recommend this? or is one better off just getting a WD caviar black? i guess my question is: is the 10 000 RPM justified?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The VelociRaptor is fast, but if I had to make the decision this time around, I don't think it's really that worth it anymore. You're better off just 2x 2TB Caviar Blacks or something in RAID0… of maybe get 4x 2TB drives with a RAID 5 card.

The VR although quiet is quite loud compared to other HDDs.

5. Ryan P macrumors regular

The raptor is going to be significantly faster for random access but still way way slower than a good SSD. I'm not sure if it is worth it. An SSD as a boot drive is such a huge jump in performance i'd probably wait till I could afford a ~100GB SSD and use that as a boot instead.

6. fedeboraxx thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies. now forgive my ignorance, but im new to the MP world.

i see that SSD's dont come in 3.5 form factor. how does one install one into the MP's bays? through some sort of adaptor?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

64GB Kingston SSD is 94$ from NewEgg, cheaper than VelociRaptor and million times faster. To use 2.5" drive in 3.5" bay, you need an Icy Dock for example

8. Ryan P macrumors regular

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Personally I use the Icy Dock; works great.

10. fedeboraxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet. Now, I know this totally depends on the user, but in general, would you think 64 GB to be enough for system + apps? How big is Snow Leopard again, 15 GB?

11. dknightd macrumors 6502

Sounds like a good solution. I haven't tried it. It boots fast enough for me as is. But, I don't boot often. You might try the stock drive and see how it works for you. You can always upgrade later. You might be better off using the raptor for your home directory and/or files. Just a thought

12. fedeboraxx thread starter macrumors newbie

just checked. snow leopard is under 5 GB

pretty small

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Snow Leopard only requires 5GB of disk space according to Apple. Even less if you don't install the additional languages and printer drivers. How big is your app folder (Right-click Applications folder > Show Info)? Remember that you can always move infrequently used apps to the HD to free up space in the SSD.

14. fedeboraxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Apps clocking in at 25 GB. Less than I expected

15. Ryan P macrumors regular

A lot depends on how much you want to accelerate...I think it is a bit of a waste to only put OS X on the SSD. I also put my User directory and other items such as my Lightroom Catalogs. Those are the things that I actually "use" and so I feel like it is worth having enough extra room on the SSD for them to fit.

Things such as my itunes media folder, photographs, videos, backups, etc though sit on regular old hard disks.

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I.e. the User folder as everything it holds is photos, downloads, videos, music etc...

17. Ryan P macrumors regular

Well not in my case. I have created links in my user folder to my photographs and videos folders that sit on separate hard disks as those are in the multi terrabyte range. Downloads is still there although I keep it pretty pruned. Music just has a few itunes header files in it has I have changed that path in iTunes.

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ahh, that explains it. If the actual data is stored in HDs, then it's fine. However, I don't find any crucial need why the home folder should be in the SSD, it's just fine in an HD, especially if you're on budget when buying an SSD

19. Ryan P macrumors regular

Don't really disagree. It did dramatically speedup my Lightroom catalog so that is probably worthwhile for Lightroom users.