New drive - format question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 4now, Nov 24, 2008.

1. 4now macrumors regular

If I install a new hard drive in the MBP

can I use a retail copy of Leopard to format the drive.

Or if the MBP came with a Startup disk (Tiger) - must I use that instead.
    I did a Leopard upgrade over Tiger a few months back.

Essentially I want to restore everything including settings and apps from a Time Machine Backup. So that everything is exactly the way I left.

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes, retail install should work fine. Just make sure that when you initialize the drive you give it a GUID partition map.

3. 4now thread starter macrumors regular

What is a partition map?

How do I do that

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

When you boot from the installer DVD, run Disk Utility from the menu (after selecting your language). From there, click on the new drive (not any partition that might show up below and indented), then click on the Partition tab. There's a button called Options and from there you click on GUID partition table. This is required for all boot volumes for Intel-based Macs. After that, initialize the drive, quit Disk Utility and resume the installation process.

5. 4now thread starter macrumors regular

I thought it needed to be formatted for

Mac OS X Extended Journalled

Does that come into play in one of the steps.
    Or does the installation take care of that

thanks so much

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That's the volume initialization, not the drive table. You can have only one drive partition table (in this case GUID), but you can have many volumes on that drive and each can be initialized in a variety of ways, including HFS+, FAT32, or NTFS. Once you set the GUID partition table from the Options button, you can select one or more partitions from the pull-down menu. If you only want one, then select one and set extended with journaling enabled, then initialize.