New Drive Installed XP Installed Now No Drivers or Internet.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by thevoice, Dec 5, 2010.

1. thevoice macrumors member

Installed a new 750GB drive into my MacBookPro 5.1 Couldn't get Winclone to make image so I was forced to start from scratch with a new XP installation.

My MBP is partitioned 25%Mac & 75%XP with bootcamp and I have the old drive in a enclosure connected with a firewire. So all of old files are on the external drive now.

After installing XP I have no internet connection, drivers etc....... However if I boot up on the mac side everything works fine. (I cloned the mac os already with Carbon copy).

So can I just copy all my old drivers over to the new drive? If yes how and if no how do I get them installed on the new harddrive. The MBP came with everything preinstalled.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I can't recall if you are running 10.5 or 10.6, but the Windows drivers are on your Mac OS X install disc for both of those versions. (Either the grey disc that came with the machine or the SL upgrade disc if one was used).

Boot to Windows XP, insert the OS X install disc, follow directions to get drivers installed. Run Apple Software Update to get the latest drivers for your version of OS X.

B

3. thevoice thread starter macrumors member

I couldn't find my original discs for hours, but finally located them and
    B-I-N-G-O-! All the drivers are installed.

Now my next question is: As for getting the files from my old drive onto the new one, am I using the old drag and drop method or the XP files transfer option?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Congrats!

IIRC you were most concerned about the iTunes library, in which case I'd skip the XP wizard that knows nothing about iTunes and go back and look at those iLounge articles I linked to and make sure you drag and drop all of the files and settings that are important to you.

B

5. thevoice, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

thevoice thread starter macrumors member

Ok seem like this is going to be a long process. I also see itunes 9 home sharing is a way too.

Next question: Due to the amount of data and short free time I have, with the old data still on the old drive which is now in the EXTERNAL enclosure. If needed will I still be able to bootup to the old drive and use it as it until I get everything moved to the new drive without placing the old drive back into the MAC?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

No, you can't boot XP from an external drive, but by now, you're an old pro at swapping the drives. ;)

B

7. thevoice thread starter macrumors member

I was just telling my co-worker this today. I mean I can do it in less than 5 mins now. Just didnt want to risk damaging the screws or the drive with too much in & outs.

8. thevoice thread starter macrumors member

Tell me this, can I put the old drive in the mac and use it as i did b4 and use drag and drop or copy past to moive the files to the external enclosure with the then NEW drive in it?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That sounds like the best plan if your migration is going to take a while.

B

10. thevoice thread starter macrumors member

Well, Balamw I want to thank you again. You've been a lifeline. Hopefully I'll have this all done by 2011.....lol but really thanks again.

I'll let you know when I'm done.