New Drive: Re-install leopard or Carbon Copy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tom Foolery, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

any day now i will get my new 500GB seagate drive in the mail i was just wondering if i should fresh install. or just go for the standard CCC. doing a fresh install would take hours because i would need to install tiger the upgrade to leopard, then software update. then copy all the info from my old drive i wanted.

will this make any difference in speed of my MBP or is it just be a waste of time

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You wouldn't have to reinstall Tiger - Apple doesn't provide "upgrade" disks, so your Leopard disk has a full installer.

As for doing the upgrade - the easiest is a CCC clone, but if you want a freshish start, you can do a clean Leopard install, connect the external drive and use Migration Assistant to copy accounts and applications over.

3. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

well then it's strange that apple would give me the 2 tiger install disks and a leopard disk. when i bought my MBP it came with tiger installed and i had to use the provided disk to upgrade to leopard

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Did you buy late October/November 2007, close to the time Leopard was released?

Macs manufactured in the month or so before a new OS X release won't have the new version preinstalled, so Apple drops the new OS X DVD in the box.

It'll be a full install disk. Believe me, there's no such thing as a Leopard upgrade disk.