New drive, same time machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davidjoho, Jul 25, 2008.

1. davidjoho macrumors newbie

This is probably obvious, but it's also surprisingly hard to google :)

I upgraded my hard drive in my MacBook (from 160gb to 320gb) and successfully restored the complete SuperDuper backup I'd made. So, from my point of view as a user, my computer is the same as before. I didn't have to reinstall Leopard, etc. It was a clone job. But, Time Machine thinks it's a new and different machine.

I have many months of backups on my external TM drive. When I enter TM, however, it thinks I have none. It doesn't do any good to change the TM disk via the preference panel because it's already pointing at that disk.

How do I tell TM that I've changed my laptop's internal hard drive, but I want to continue to use my old TM archive on my external hard drive?

TIA

2. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

you were supposed to restore from Time Machine.

3. davidjoho thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, that's what I was supposed to do

I thought the Time Machine backup wouldn't restore all the system files, etc. So, I made a mistake, at least from TM's point of view :)

How can I tell TM that the archive existing on the external drive is in fact the archive of this cloned disk?

4. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Even if the hard drive isn't named the same, Time Machine shouldn't have a problem; when I booted up from my CCC backup on an external HD, it automatically started trying to back up to my Time Machine volume. So I dunno what's gone wrong in your case.