New dropbox bug (sendtodropbox)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by zub3qin, Aug 14, 2011.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I have used dropbox for a year successfully.
    There is a third party free service called SendToDropbox which allows you to email attachments to dropbox.

Has anyone been seeing problems with SendToDropbox in the past several weeks, since Lion was introduced?

Specifically, if you send multiple attachments to dropbox (i.e. 4 files), all 4 filenames show up, but they end up all being copies of the first file. The filenames are all different and correct, however the actual file is incorrect- it is just 4 copies of the same file.

Others have complained here: http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=42615&replies=8

Anyone seeing this or have a solution?
    PS- I cannot figure out how to email the developer since the email address they provide is not valid.

Thanks!

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I understand you posting this to see if others have a problem, but a clue to the stability of a service should be does the email address work. info@sendtodropbox.com is not valid? I guess that should be a warning sign. Free is free, but we can't help much when their site is so vague. It just looks like they use dropbox API, so much can go wrong. I personally am leery of giving a fly by night service access to my dropbox, not that they have had the best security themselves ;)

3. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

what is wrong with Dropbox's security? :confused:

Have they ever had a breach or something? I keep some personal files in there because I want it across platforms.. is that not wise without a pw protection?

4. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Good point. Do you know any alternative email services for dropbox?

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

Just Google Dropbox security.
    http://i.tuaw.com/2011/04/19/dropbox-under-fire-for-security-concerns/
    I'm sure they fixed things. No breach just some questions about their procedures. I take that back. Earlier in the year they had a breach. Exposed all accounts for 4 hours , no password required for access.

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

I still use Dropbox myself. I just encrypt my important documents before they sync. I'm not sure what else is out there, since I have not stopped using them for my personal use.

7. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

thanks. will do. going to read the article also.

can I ask another Dropbox question (I don't mean to hijack this thread :eek: )

in Lion, when I go to my public folder, I don't see a "more option" when second clicking and "copy public link" ..do you guys also have this problem in lion, or no? :confused:

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I'll look in the morning since I'm not near my computer now. Sorry.

9. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

nvm. I spent some time researching it last night... I guess the latest final version of dropbox isn't fully lion compatible yet. There is a beta version that is near it's finalized version which has issues fixed. Among the issues, one of them is that there is no more "copy public link" in the secondary click menu. :)