Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noelmac75

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
UK
Hi

Just curious to know if anyone has experienced any noise problems on the new Dual 1.25powermacs, Iam getting mine on wed, what can i expect, will i notice a lot of difference in noise compared to me G4 450 sawtooth.

giovanni

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
when did you order yours ?

Just curious, when did you order it ? As to the noise, I have not gotten mine yet, but the Dual 867 I had was not noisy at all so I wonder wtf were some people whining about

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
I just got my DP 1.25 GHz on staurday, and although it's in my studio overlooking my living room, I can always hear the fan going. It's not loud, but it's there. It does not bother me enough to put it to sleep when I watch TV, etc., but when it's bedtime, I have to make it sleep or turn it off. It's on the loud side.

BTW, it's awesome! I went from a 400 Mhz G3, and I am seeing 8-10 times the speed in photoshop, etc. maybe even more.

noelmac75

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
UK
Originally posted by zarathustra
I just got my DP 1.25 GHz on staurday, and although it's in my studio overlooking my living room, I can always hear the fan going. It's not loud, but it's there. It does not bother me enough to put it to sleep when I watch TV, etc., but when it's bedtime, I have to make it sleep or turn it off. It's on the loud side.

BTW, it's awesome! I went from a 400 Mhz G3, and I am seeing 8-10 times the speed in photoshop, etc. maybe even more.

How would it compare to a G4 450mhz sawtooth or your last G3 powermac, i can hear the fan in it and it doesnt bother me. Iam getting mine on wednesday, i'll be using it in my bedrrom too.

giovanni

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
so you seem to be pretty happy, it is good to hear since I am waiting for mine. No more issues with the speakers ? How about the sleep feature ? does it work properly even if you have both a super drive and a combo drive ?

If used in the bedroom I don't see the problem, provided that the sleep feature works as supposed to. Just let it sleep when you go to bed; if not you will want to turn it off.

best,
gio

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
It's about 25% louder than my Quicksilver 933 at work. It's about 200% louder than my PowerBook, and about 40% louder than a 450 G4 PowerMac. The fun thing is after restart, ALL the fans spin up, and it sounds like a model helicopter taking off. That lasts about 15 seconds. The sleep works well, however once my scanner confused the machine, and I had to restart. A little window appeared "can't find the scanner on the appropriate port", etc. (EPSON Perfection 1660Photo).

It flies! I love it to pieces, but unfortunately this means now I can bring more work home... :( At least it's an awesome mac. :D

PS: I have it under my desk, and when it gets a little chilly, I can actually feel the heat being blown out the machine and it keeps my toes warm.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
I have a new 1.25 with both a superdrive (OEM DIY) and the combo drive. Sleep works perfectly.

The only previous Mac I've had in recent history was my FP iMac, so I can't provide a comparison. However, I would agree about it being noticeable, but not annoying. I have it in an alcove between the living room & dining room, and any ambient noise (refrigerator, low level TV, AC/heat) pretty much covers it up.

If you are looking for something you can plop in your studio with the mics and record audio, forget it. IMHO almost any PC or PowerMac is going to be too loud. The iMac, maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.