New E-mail Notification

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 2good2btru, May 24, 2011.

1. 2good2btru macrumors member

You know how when you get a new SMS Message, a pop-up notification comes up and alerts you that you have a new message, shows the name of the person you recieved the text from, and then shows a small preview of the message?

Is there anyway to do this with e-mail? I know that e-mail can show badges, but I'm interested in having an actual pop-up message whenever I get a new e-mail.

I recently installed MobileNotifier (Jailbreak app), and I absolutely LOVE it. However, MobileNotifier can only catalog notifications that have pop-up notifications, and not badges. I would love to have my e-mails incorporated into this.

Any ideas? Thanks. (Also, sorry if I'm not being very clear. If I'm making no sense, please let me know and I'll try and clarify.)

2. DLyman macrumors member

You could try elert. Check it out in Cydia and see what you think.

3. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I use the Pushmail app for that. Works great.

4. 2good2btru thread starter macrumors member

That PushMail app looks like it would work PERFECTLY! However, I'm not willing to fork out $4.99 for an app, even if it is just a one-time fee. Are they any other suggestions?

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

im sure you wouldnt think twice about throwing away $4.99 on a crappy lunch at a fast food place or a few cups of coffee, why do people think $4.99 heck ive even heard people say they wouldn't pay 99cents on an app.

even if your sick of the app in a week you got more use out of it then those few cups of coffee or that crappy lunch

6. 2good2btru thread starter macrumors member

Sure, I spent more than $5 on my lunch today, yes. But in my mind, food is more of a necessity than an iPhone application. Plus, I'm not THAT desperate for this. It's more a convenience for me, and if there is a free alternative to get rid of a slight annoyance, then yes, I would LOVE to, but I'm not going to shell out $5 for it. If it involves spending money, I'll just live with the native way in which iOS handles Notifications.

7. TheXFactor macrumors regular

pushmail is well worth the $5 and much more IMO. Instant notification. Rules, multiple email accounts with different notification sounds for each, pop-ups on the screen with as little or as much info as you want. Want me to list more?

8. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

I'm using MobileNotifier as well and it rocks! :cool: Can't wait until they incorporate their own quickreply system so that I can uninstall BiteSMS

9. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

LockInfo does this but it is a commercial package, well worth it though. My notifications now pretty much work like on Android, nothing pops up to interrupt me and I can see notifications on the lock screen or pull down the status bar to see them.

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

11. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I love the option of "quiet hours". That was worth the $5 to me.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Boxcar is the best. Use it!

13. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

14. LunarFalcon macrumors member

Same here. It also has quiet hours.

15. kicko macrumors 65816

+1 for boxcar

I know IM+ will also do this also, i believe the free version does include this feature.

there, you now have a few free options... but seriously think about supporting developers. No support = no apps

16. TheXFactor macrumors regular

HaHa, forgot about that. Probably cause it's quiet at night. :)

17. BubbaJones, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

Boxcar has quiet hours as well.

Whoops... Missed LunarFalcon's post...