New Early 09 Macbook Pro, Gaming Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hishat, Jan 8, 2009.

1. hishat macrumors regular

hishat

Long time member, constant helper, just need to get some heads up on something,

is it me or when playing games on the macbook pro the typical w, s, a, d buttons and 1, 2, 3, 4 buttons get extremely hot whilst playing games??

so irritating, because it gets pretty hot and i have to wear gloves, big enough issue to take up with APPLE??

Thank you in advance

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The Macbook Pro's have always been notorious for getting hot, so hot sometimes when gaming they burn people, this is because its probably operating at around 90C/100C inside. You can prevent this by running a program Apple provides called SMC Fan Control:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

Set your fans to run at their highest setting (6200/6400 RPM) before playing a game, and you should notice your laptop plays cooler for you.

Also if this doesnt help, take the laptop to an Apple Store and Apple should repair any heatsink and cooling issues your processor may be having, it might just need a simple bit of thermal paste applying to the processor, which can be done for you on the spot in an Apple Store by an Apple Genius if your computers running too hot, as long as its still under Warranty/Apple Care.

3. cathyy macrumors 6502a

I'm using an Early 2008 15" MBP and I've never really taken note of the temperature of my keys while gaming. But it's definitely nowhere close to the hotness you are describing though, and it's comfortable enough to keep my fingers there for hours.

The only part that gets hot is the metal bit on top of the keyboard, probably due to the fact that the vents are just below there.

Take note of your temperatures and report them here. Either way there probably is something wrong with your notebook; unless you have very sensitive fingers. :p

My CPU temperatures are usually only 60 - 75 C, while my GPU temperatures are usually around 80 - 85 C while gaming.

4. DirtyDan macrumors member

I downloaded this and installed it, program works great but I have one question... does default mode lock it at 2000rpm or does it just make it run like the computer would normally without this software installed... my fans never seem to go up on default, but I haven't had it long enough to know if they would without this application.

Thanks.