New easier way to add UNLIMITED DATA plan to iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jonjames, Jul 21, 2010.

1. jonjames macrumors regular

JUST ASK

so i got my first phone bill today since buying the iPhone 4 on June 24th and needless to say i was a bit upset.
    first off a little background info. ive been with at&t since the 1st iPhone and have owend all models, my wife has as well tho she cancelled her line in november of last year, and after seeing the iphone 4 on june 7th decided to jump back on board. so on release day i purchased 2 iPhones, one from best buy, 1 from apple. the 1st from best buy was an upgrade on my existing account and later that day from apple decided to add a line and start a family plan with another iPhone 4.
    needless to say something went wrong and i guess the apple salesman didnt add a line to a family plan but rather started a whole new individual plan under my name because when i received my bill today i noticed i had two different plans with 450 anytime mins, 1500 text messages and the $25 2gb data plan on the new line, i on the other hand had the same plan execpt unlimited data since i was grandfathered in.
    my bill total came to $291.97. i was pretty shocked at the price and called customer service, explained the situation to the lady and she asked if i wanted the 1400 min family plan? i said yes. she asked if i wanted the unlimited text for family plans? i said yes. she then asked if i wanted both phones to have the 2gb data plan, and i immediately told her no because i was currently on the unlimited data plan on my preexisting line and said i guess id take the 2gb plan for my new line but slid in "unless you want to give me the unlimited data plan". she then asked if thats what i wanted and i said sure id love it. she said ok ill put it on there. told me she would have to call me back cause it took awhile and some approvals had to be made because they were gonna be changing my bill. i havent been called back yet but checked mywireless account online and noticed the changes....
    i guess the moral of the story is....all you gotta do is ask!

need proof or ducktakes?

bill showing 2gb data plan
    [​IMG]

screenshot showing newly added family plan
    [​IMG]

screenshot showing new monthly charges of $117 and some change
    [​IMG]

youtube video showing both lines with unlimited data plans
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr0Mq0q3ch4

2. WilliamG macrumors G3

Nice deal. By the way, your number is still visible in last picture.

3. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

how is that an "easier" way to add unlimited data? It seems like you had a pretty specific situation that would be a huge hassle to recreate for most people, and in the end all you really did was ask the lady to add it on. you didn't find a workaround like others have.

4. jonjames thread starter macrumors regular

Dude I saying just call and ask.....its worth a try. Worked for me and I doubt it was due to the "specific" issue I had

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well helps if you talk to a nice rep thats willing to help you out and she believed that you had the unlimited data on both lines and put them back on.
    Pulled some strings and set it up for you.
    Thats not the rule but the exception. They wont do it for most people but Im glad it worked out for you.

6. jonjames thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks but I never told her I had it before I just said I'd take the 2gb if she didn't want to give me the unlimited plan. She then offered.

7. cirial macrumors regular

Bet they till made u pay the $200+ from the apple employees screwup though?

8. jonjames thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean? Don't you see that my bill has been adjusted and is now $117 as opposed to the $291 that it was originally

9. pharmx macrumors regular

That $117 is a prorated price, and not what your actual monthly charge is going to be, correct?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, I see.
    You got a cool and helpfull rep then.
    Its not always the case but sometimes I have to call 2-3 times to actually get someone who's willing to help me instead of giving me BS and try to get me off the phone with poor excuses and an attitude.

11. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

They have a system where they keep tabs and rank customers that they want to keep long term. It depends on if you're profitable for ATT or not. Some people will do frequent upgrades, while others use the same phone for years. Some go on bigger plans, some on the minimum. But based on all this info, they rate customers they want to keep, and ones they want to cancel.
    So it depends on what type of customer you are, they'll give you more if your profitable for them.
    I read a story about how this works. If you call to cancel, and say your a profitable customer, they will offer you upgrades, discounted plans, and tell you they have to transfer you to a customer retention department.
    But if you're a loss for them, they will cancel your account within a minute or less. "You're account has been canceled, have a nice day." No transfer, no offers, nothing!

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    I bet there is many variables into this formula.
    Also you payment history, years with them, how much you pay a month, if you're getting any discounts, how many lines on your bill etc...