New eBay iPhone... not so new.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Robby9279, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Well I was skeptical to buy off eBay and now I regret doing so.
    My loving mother went through the hassle of spending a boat load of money on me for Christmas to make me happy, and bought me a "new" iPhone off ebay. Well, I enjoyed playing with it, it's a great phone, some of you may have even seen my thread on opening day. Well, I thought the box was a little "too scratched up" so I figured hey, why not check the serial numbers. Well, to my unfortunate surprise the serial number on the box and the phone do not match. So I decided to go dig a little further and did what anybody else would do and entered both serial numbers on the apple website. Not to my surprise I get this message once I finished entering the serial number on the box, "Our records indicate that this product has been replaced. " Oh good... wait, what?! REPLACED? So I bought a replaced or... refurbished iPhone not a brand new... well brand new... refurbished.. iPhone.
    Some of you may be thinking "Hey what's wrong with that, refurbished units are as good as new, they go through a whole new cleaning process, they work, it's not a problem" Hey, I agree with you, but that's not the point! I supposedly bought a new iPhone, but got a refurbished unit instead, I wouldn't mind if I knew I was buying a refurbished iPhone.
    So my plan of action is to return this item back to the seller, and get my dad to handle this with apple and sign the contract and get a new plan and buy it directly from one of the retail locations, brand new. Is this possible, I'm not eligible for an upgrade so what's the pricing again $500 for 8gb and $600 for 16?
    Well this was my story and the point was inform some people to be careful when buying an iPhone from eBay, you don't know what you're actually in for.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well, instead of typing us an essay, contact eBay and PayPal. They will take care of it if you provide enough proof. Chances are the guy did this to other people and not only you.

3. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

I wasn't complaining to you guys just telling you to be careful, and I'm talking to him right now, he really is a nice guy, and will probably refund me anyway and let me ship it back to him.

4. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

OK, sounds like it was just a seller issue.

And since most of us all know the dangers of eBay, craigslist, and the like... was this thread really needed?

Not to mention, the prices are readily available for both the 8GB and 16GB on your local cell phone providers website.

5. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess so, and No I guess it wasn't needed but letting people know a practical situation is always good.
    Thanks

6. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Cool. Glad to see you got everything (or are getting) everything worked out. Hope you enjoy your new iPhone!

7. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, I will when I go to the AT&T store :D.

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

It's good that it led to the good case scenario, not the worse one.

Well then, you'll be having a new iPhone (again?) soon ;)

9. mattocs macrumors member

As long as it functions and looks new, talk to the seller. Tell them you'll let it go if they toss a few dollars your way.

Good luck.

Edit: Didn't read all the posts. Glad you got it worked out.

10. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Did you read the auction carfeully. A lot of ebay sellers will list a phone as brand new, the have a disclaimer at the bottom saying phones may be re-certified.

11. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

I did, and all it says over the page is brand new, brand new, blah blah blah. Currently my dad is handling it, and if he doesn't refund us before we ship it out to him, we're filing a formal dispute.

12. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

There, fixed it for you.:rolleyes:

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

`

I did the same thing with one of my 3G phones on eBay. I bought it the day the 3G went on sale last July but like many others, I was having a problem with 3G so I exchanged it after two weeks. I eventually bought a second iPhone and used both for several months. Later, I decided to sell the first one and listed it on eBay. Of course it was not the original that came in the box and I didn't say the in the eBay listing either. It sold for $500 and the I never heard from the buyer after he received it. It's probably no big deal for most people. An iPhone is an iPhone. Oh and in my add it was clearly listed as used.

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The funny thing is, I actually prefer refurbished iPhones because they usually have more of a chance at being perfect. You see, these things are built on assembly lines in China and they're put together rather fast, but refurbished iPhones are fixed and put back together by an Apple tech here in the US. I generally get better built products with refurbs. That's my philosophy.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I only have one question; what the heck were you thinking when you bought a NEW 3G iPhone from eBay??? Gawd, be patient and get one at the Apple Store or AT&T...:rolleyes:

16. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Don't worry, walmart sells them now.

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good one...:D

18. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Why not just buy from the shop? New 16GB iPhone 3G with warrenty and 12 months free data is £391. :rolleyes:
    eBay is just full of con artists now. Don't buy there thinking it's a bargain, because it'll be cheaper in the shops, or just a scam. Only last week I bought a new iPhone case thinking I'd done well, but when it came it turned out to be an iPod Touch 2G case :( The truth is, eBay and paypal do NOTHING when something like this happens, because it's too much hassel for them, and not profitable. The site is as bad as the sellers.

19. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, but the thing with me is. I'd rather know what I've been doing with the phone, and then let it break and get it refurbished. This is because I would have known what I was doing with the phone and caused it to be refurbished. Versus a phone with 0 history, and it's just refurbished, this is why I probably won't ever buy a refurbished phone.

My dad said the same thing, haha. I'm hoping that when/if we get this refund my dad takes me over to bestbuy/apple to get the phone.

Yeah, I totally agree. We bought the phone thinking that it would be better, cause I didn't need data. But then my dad decides he wants to get me a data plan.... and that's where it all started.

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't think you understand what refurbished means. A brand new iPhone is more likely to have problems right out of the box. A refurbished phone was carefully looked at and assembled by someone in the USA that is Apple certified. Refurbished iPhones are better than brand new because they weren't slapped together really quick and shipped from China. I didn't get a good iPhone until I got a refurbished one. Also, I have a refurbished Mac Pro. I've NEVER had a single problem with it. The only problem I've ever had with this machine was a DVD drive stopped working and it was an add-on that I got after the fact. The original drive still works awesome. In all my experiences with Apple refurbished stuff is that refurbished always means higher quality than new.

Also, refurbished iPhones get a NEW battery, a NEW case, and new GLASS (if scratches are found). Refurbished iPhones have the same warrantee as a new iPhone as well. Why is it so important that you get a new iPhone (which could be a gamble) than to have something that was checked over and certified as "brand new condition"?

21. gsampson85 macrumors newbie

Just a suggestion... ATT is selling refurbs with no contract for 199 and 299 on their website. Thats pretty cheap, and it probably comes with the one year warranty. Just click the upgrade phone in your account and it will come up with no commitment pricing and the refurbs are near the bottom.

Edit: Just looked and it says 90 days or more of warranty. You can always upgrade the apple care though.

22. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

You make excellent points, some that are extremely hard to argue with. And I know the whole process, it's just me being me and wanting it "brand new". Another reason was, from the date I received the phone, and the date the warranty was effective was a difference of 4 months. It was only effective till August and I really want those extra few months. And I know I could buy apple care but considering the phone might not have even been compatible with it, posed as an issue.

23. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

They're 99 and 199, I already know :p

24. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

You can only get the no committment if you already had a 3G plan. Otherwise they hit you for 2 years when you activate it.

I lost a 2G iPhone and they wouldn't do anything for me. I wanted to pay the $499 for a no-committment phone, but since it was an upgrade, they wanted another 2 years.

25. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Yes, like there is absolutely no danger in buying anything from Craigslist...

Apple refurbs always seem to be pretty good. If I were in your shoes, I'd take the $300-400 savings and get the refurb. If you have pretty much any issue with the phone, Apple's just going to give you a refurb replacement anyway. Take the money saved and use it for something else.