New Editing System

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JavaNice, Jan 18, 2014.

1. JavaNice, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014

JavaNice macrumors newbie

Looking to upgrade our church's video edit system. I am currently running Final Cut Pro 6.06 on a Power Mac PC G5 Quad with 6 GB of Memory with 2 500 GB internal hard drives and a Rosewill Raid set with 2 TB hard drive. I have had this system since 2006 and it has been a real work horse. We produce a weekly "Around Bel-Aire in 80 seconds" and also record and process the weekly services through the edit system. To see the videos go to: http://www.youtube.com/user/belairebaptistmedia

The problem is that it has been crashing from time to time and I have to reboot from the Operating Disk to get it going again. Right now this system crashes about once a month and it takes a while to get it going again. I'm afraid this thing is going to crash and I will lose it all at some point so I told the faculty that we need to start looking to buying a new system soon.

Not sure what our budget will be but we could be doing some fundraisers soon to help pay for the system. I appreciate any advice on Edit systems and software. I noticed BandHphotovideo turnkey systems did not use the new Final Cut X and was going to Adobe Premiere. I use Compressor, DVD Studio Pro, Live Type quite a bit. I only use Motion every now and then. We are using a Sony HXR-MC2000 video camera.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Without knowing a budget it's impossible to recommend anything. If you can only spend a few hundred dollars I'd suggest hitting up eBay and Craigslist to find a used G5 tower to replace yours and just keep everything else the same. If you can spend $10,000 then I'd suggest buying an entirely new setup that will be good for the next 4 or 5 years.

What do you think is a realistic budget? $5000?

3. JavaNice thread starter macrumors newbie

Probably $5000 - $10000