Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I just noticed this two minutes ago... what the hell is it? When I click on it says (in inactive gray) "SuperDrive F12".

:confused:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 437
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 384

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
From Apple Support Knowledgebase article HT2575

To show this menu bar item:

1. From the Finder's Go menu, choose Go to Folder.
2. Type or paste: /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras
3. In the Menu Extras folder, double-click "Eject.menu".

You can get rid of it by holding down on the command or :apple: key on the keyboard and dragging it off the menu bar.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
are you by chance using an older apple keyboard hooked up to your mac? the older keyboards didnt have eject buttons, so when you hook up older style keyboards the only way to eject is through the computer itself. i learned this with my mac mini. took me a while to figure out when i saw it too.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
are you by chance using an older apple keyboard hooked up to your mac? the older keyboards didnt have eject buttons, so when you hook up older style keyboards the only way to eject is through the computer itself. i learned this with my mac mini. took me a while to figure out when i saw it too.

Hmmm. I actually have a closed MBP attached to an external monitor and a multimedia Microsoft keyboard (don't laugh, they can't make good OS' but their hardware is top rate!). Anyway, I didn't change or update anything and suddenly that icon appeared.

It isn't a bad thing... it's just a strange thing.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
yep that will do it!

Yeah, but I didn't just add it! I've had it for two years! Suddenly that icon appeared and I didn't see any strange hardware or software updates.

Hmmm. Though I did update MS Office yesterday...

Did they sneak in a hardware update at the same time?! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.