New Element case Ronin

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by archrider, Jun 4, 2013.

1. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

2. Partridge macrumors 6502

3. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

Looks nice. Not $350 nice though. I'd buy it if it was in the $50 range or below.

4. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

I said the same thing about a ferrari the other day. If it was $20,000, i'd probably buy it.

5. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure there is a higher profit margin (percentage wise) on this then with a ferrari. When their previous Ronin case is going for $180 (which I am sure more than covers R&D and materials) I find it hard to believe that the additional R&D (same design) and materials for this case warrant an increase of almost double the price.

6. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Call me cynical, but I think the "1st edition run" is manufactured in order to make it seem more desirable.

The high price tag is to get as much as they can before the Chinese manufacturers catch on and start selling the same case for $30.

Just my opinion, ElementCase makes some very innovative cases and I hope they'll keep on doing so.

7. archrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

archrider

So far the Chinese haven't cought up with real G10. As far as Titanium I don't see a rip off of that either. So this might be rip off proof.

8. TylerWhite56 macrumors newbie

Personally, I found it to be awesome. Honestly, If they would've brought it down to even 200, I would've definitely considered. Anyway, I'm just stoked they're making a second edition and I'll probably sign up for the pre-order. I enjoy the style of the ronin and am ecstatic that they are using metals with it instead of wood.

9. Partridge macrumors 6502

If you think it's too expensive, you're probably not their target demographic.

I'll fess up. I bought one. The way I look at it, I don't blink at spending that kind of cash on similar items that are CNC milled out of titanium, G10, and steel (knives and gun parts). So a case for an item I carry literally all the time machined out of the same materials and to the same tolerances that is in the same price ballpark isn't that far out of line. People think I'm crazy for doing both.

At the price point for their cases you're paying for the design and the attention to detail, not just for the materials themselves. Just like you can buy a knife from Target Examplefor $50 that is functionally pretty much equivalent to a $400 titanium and steel knife like a Chris Reeve Sebenza Example, you can get a case from walmart that is functionally equivalent or superior, but that's really not the point. You don't buy things like that because you need them or because they're functionally superior, or because they're a good value.

As for me, this is the case I've been waiting for them to make. G10 and Titanium. I'm a titanium junkie. Plain titanium like that is great because it develops a nice patina and you can easily refinish it yourself when it gets scratched, unlike anodized aluminum which starts out looking great but always shows wear.

10. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

Be sure to post pics :)

11. Partridge macrumors 6502

Yes crazy, but look at it this way:

The base Ronin FE was 200. I won't go into whether this is reasonable or not, but its a baseline.

Add in a leather case instead of leatherette. Maybe $10 difference depending on how well it's made. Maybe more.

Add in a G10 backplate. The plain ones go for $40.

Titanium and G10 are pains in the rear to machine, especially to high tolerances. Titanium is just a pain because of the wear resistance and galling. G10 is orders of magnitude harder to machine than wood. They'll both eat tooling like crazy compared to the aluminum and wood. The materials cost is also higher, not huge but it adds up. If you shop around for items made in both aluminum and titanium you'll always see a pretty marked price disparity, and it is for a reason. So add in a reasonable materials/tooling cost here. Say $50+

Well, that puts us into the ballpark price wise compared to a regular ronin. Not saying that the starting point was reasonable to begin with..

12. rjbeh macrumors regular

Got one too here. Will post pics when i got it.

13. Imperiali macrumors newbie

I missed my chance to purchase one, unfortunately... I hope the second edition isn't too terrible.

Any ideas if any of these first edition ones will surface on eBay (not fakes - I mean legitimate versions)? I'd gladly pay up to $500 if one did surface. :D

But yea, Element Case truly outdid themselves this time. This is the case I've always dreamed of (yet I said the same thing when I purchased my Sector 5 FE... ;)).

14. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

Dude. I can't buy it, cuz I just can't warrant that kind of dough right now, and I'm cool with that. But I totally understand what you are saying. You are paying for a premium product. I would buy the ***** out of this thing if I had the extra money lying around. Good on you.

Anyone who judges someone that buys this product for the price, is a downright hypocrite. We all indulge in premium things across a spectrum of prices. Take for example: A person that lives paycheck to paycheck goes into a grocery store for groceries. As they stand on the cereal aisle, they go for the box of 'Captain Crunch with Crunch berries', instead of the 'Clown Crunch with Berry Balls'. They don't mind paying forking over that extra money for a slight improvement in quality. Its the same concept with this case. Another example. When choosing a car. A car takes us from point A to B. Why choose that brand new Acura/Mercedes/BMW, when you could have purchased that Kia on sale witht he same specs. People want quality and aesthetics, and they will pay the extra money for it. For christ sakes, you are an iphone user! You are already doing it!

So Not sure why people are so quick to judge folks on their purchase of premium cases.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm sorry but any case that costs more then phone is just too extravagant for me.

16. Caesars macrumors regular

Well to be fair, these aren't $650.00 cases, I kid I kid.

They did look awesome, I guess if they protect your phone well I'd look into it.

17. AFDoc, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013

AFDoc macrumors 68030

Guess it just goes to show there is a sucker born every minute! Ti and CF look great but I won't spend more for a case than I do for my phone. PLUS I'll wait till the Chinese make a fake..... those guys rule.

Drop it on asphalt or concrete once then come back and tell me how great it looks.

Comparing a phone case to an expensive knife or weapon upgrade is silly, they aren't even in the same arena. Just one man's opinion.

18. Partridge macrumors 6502

Either way you put it, it's $$$ for a few ounces of Cnc'd titanium and composite held together with screws. I'd say it's in the exact same arena. I don't drop my expensive knives on concrete, but I don't expect they'd fare any better. If you go on aliexpress you can pick up a replica of the $400 knife for about $70. It's a pretty good replica. About 85-90% there. It's also a counterfeit copy. If that's how you roll. As for the Chinese, at this rate, yeah... they'll rule alright...

19. ngocnguyen macrumors member

Most people don't realize the process and specialty cutters involved in machining titanium...it's not just changing your material....not just a few parts but a high production run...it's massive wear on your tools. You can't just use carbide...they have to be coated for additional wear resistance...and then cutters are designed for specific chip removal, etc..it's almost a science involved and tons of money investing into titanium machining...then add the cost of raw material. What about that little screw they used...they have to tap the threads into titanium...super fine threads on super tough material...they almost need to aneal or heat-treat the titanium so it's more workable.

Same goes for G10...not only do you need specialty cutters...you need a very good closed vacuum system so you don't jack up your ways & spindle on the NC. G10 (glass & resin, compression molded) is extremely abrasive...alot of machinist won't touch it because their machines are not set up to filter the grit out properly..machining it dry or wet? machining one G10 part can contaminate and ruin your 150k CNC if it's not properly set up to run these types of composites.

So I can understand the increase in cost..I just wouldn't pay $350 for an iPhone case! lol

20. archrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

archrider

Wow, you know your stuff. Thanks for the information.

21. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

If they would launch a black edition Ronin would buy it since it less bulky than my current BlackOps case, but no way would pay $350 !!

22. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

Anyone receive their case yet? Pictures and reviews???

23. SchneiderMan, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

We've got an artisan review brewing in the pipeline. First impressions: Supreme. Followed by some drool.
    Personally, I wouldn't have been able to afford myself getting such a case nor that McLaren mp4-12c I've been eyeing. Then again, it may have to do with the fact that my pockets aren't very deep sadly. And there's your answer to your "damn that's expensive" question. Not you prezasti.

24. rjbeh macrumors regular

Ok just got the case and i can say i am a happy boi!

Will post up higher quality photos later

Attached Files:

25. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Oh my... that's gorgeous.

Love my Sector 5 BlackOps Elite but dang that's awesome, awaiting more pictures :D