New ElevationHub Combines Cord Management With SD Card Slot and USB-A Port

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ElevationLab today announced the launch of the ElevationHub, a unique product that combines cable management with an SD card slot and USB-A 3.0 port.

The ElevationHub attaches to the power adapter of a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, adding a rubberized velcro-lined strap that keeps the USB-C cord wound up while also delivering extra ports that MacBook models no longer have.

ElevationLab says that the ElevationHub was designed to "perfectly meet the geometry" of USB-C MacBook chargers, turning it into a single unit. It works with the 30W, 61W, 87W, and 96W power adapter options from Apple, though passthrough charging is limited to 61W.

The ElevationHub can be purchased standalone or with a six-foot braided USB-C 3.0 cord available for an extra $10. ElevationLab says the cord provides 10x faster data speeds (5Gb/s) than the USB-C cable that ships with the MacBook.

The ElevationHub can be pre-ordered from the ElevationLab website for $49.95 with the braided USB-C cord or $39.95 without it. Pre-sale customers can get a 20 percent discount with the promo code TIDY, and orders will ship out in mid-July.

Article Link: New ElevationHub Combines Cord Management With SD Card Slot and USB-A Port

Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
So you can use it to upgrade the storage of the 128 gig MacBook with a 256 gig SD card?
- - Post merged: - -

Or even better hook it up with a cheap external SSD?

Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
So it can't even charge a 16" MacBook Pro properly...
I guess the main selling point of these is to add extra ports for the small Apple laptops with just one or two USB-C ports. The 16“ has 4 ports already.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
So it can't even charge a 16" MacBook Pro properly...
That depends on what your standard for ‘properly’ is. If charging a 16” MBP takes two hours to reach 80% (after that the charging speed slows down anyway such that the difference between 61 and 96 W becomes basically irrelevant) while the device is at sleep, than it takes about three hours with a 61 W charger. The time to 100% might then differ between three and four hours for these two chargers. Of course, that difference becomes larger the more you use the computer while it is charging.

And if your criteria for ‘charging properly’ is charges-at-the-maximum-speed-the-device-will-allow, then a lot of iPhones have shipped with a charger that can’t even charge them properly (all iPhones that came with a 5-W charger since, I think, the iPhone 7, which includes even the iPhone 11).

Last edited:

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
So, basically what Apple should have done in first place...
  • Their older PSUs had cable management (generally the new power bricks lack all and any innovation)
  • integrated "dock" on the PSU would have added neglible cost...
    • 2 USB-A, 5V 2.1A
    • 2 USB-C, 1 uplink, the other with Displayport out via USB-C
At least that is what I would have expected from a Premium brand...

Reactions: bernuli and SBlue1

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
So, basically what Apple should have done in first place...
  • integrated "dock" on the PSU would have added neglible cost...
    • 2 USB-A, 5V 2.1A
    • 2 USB-C, 1 uplink, the other with Displayport out via USB-C
At least that is what I would have expected from a Premium brand...
You run into the law of diminishing returns with this pretty quickly. For once, the power brick will in most cases be sitting under a desk, at very least on the floor as that is where the power outlets usually are. That means it will be rather inconvenient to plug in peripherals and even for those connected permanently, you’d probably need rather long cables. Moreover, why stop at three extra ports? Why not offer the functionality of a $200-$300 TB dock, for free I might add? That then will be used only by a minority because of the location of the power brick.

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
You run into the law of diminishing returns with this pretty quickly. For once, the power brick will in most cases be sitting under a desk, at very least on the floor as that is where the power outlets usually are. That means it will be rather inconvenient to plug in peripherals and even for those connected permanently, you’d probably need rather long cables. Moreover, why stop at three extra ports? Why not offer the functionality of a $200-$300 TB dock, for free I might add? That then will be used only by a minority because of the location of the power brick.
...as I stated "would have added neglible cost". The 5V circuit is already there. Displayport over USB-C is also a standard passthrough feature.

When you are travelling these kind of features come in very handy. Have a power socket in the bus, train,... there you go. Or simply in a Hotel where there is a power socket usually next to the bed. Charge your iPhone and Macbook at the same time with ONE charger. Or at home if you use it at your desk. Just connect your mouse, keyboard, whatever and display to the PSU directly and only ONE cable the Macbook.

If you have the courage to go USB-C only on a PRO device better also include PRO accesseries... I'm not saying this need to be a standard accessory on an Air, but on a Macbook Pro with those large bricks... it certainly should.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
Perfect for people who use TimeMachine with their MacBook, automatic backup with every charge.
Indeed. Right now, there are already micro-SD cards available with sizes of half a terabyte. And for TimeMachine, the read/write speeds are not the issue. Now a regular SD card might stick out but with a BaseQi or Nifty Minidrive, it can be permanently loaded.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I like it. It's a good idea for travel. I would get one except I just overhauled all of my cables to USB-C and got a dual USB-C charger so I don't have to carry multiple things.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
A 96W charger that cannot output 96W is not working properly.

Cute but useless idea, maybe shell out for the thicker wire next time fellas.
And a power outlet that is not outputting the maximum amperage is also not working properly? A (recent) iPhone being charged with a 5-W charger is not charging properly?

And you show how reasonable a person you are by declaring a solution that is sufficient for 95% of all use cases to be useless. I guess anybody selling power bricks that only supply the maximum power for about two-thirds of Apple's laptop range is selling a useless product. Heck, I guess even the <96 W power bricks that Apple is selling separately are a useless idea.

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Points for creativity, but other than the TM application mentioned above this seems like a horrible place for a port and a card reader...

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
...as I stated "would have added neglible cost". The 5V circuit is already there. Displayport over USB-C is also a standard passthrough feature.

When you are travelling these kind of features come in very handy. Have a power socket in the bus, train,... there you go. Or simply in a Hotel where there is a power socket usually next to the bed. Charge your iPhone and Macbook at the same time with ONE charger. Or at home if you use it at your desk. Just connect your mouse, keyboard, whatever and display to the PSU directly and only ONE cable the Macbook.

If you have the courage to go USB-C only on a PRO device better also include PRO accesseries... I'm not saying this need to be a standard accessory on an Air, but on a Macbook Pro with those large bricks... it certainly should.
I'm pretty sure most people would rather have an SD card slot (and/or a USB-A port) on their laptop than on their power brick. Imagine the ridicule if Apple had shipped such a charging brick with their USB-C-only laptops.

Such charging bricks only make sense under the assumption that Apple has decided to only have USB-C ports on their laptops (and for part of their product range, only a pretty small number, ie, one or two). But why would Apple think that SD card slots are not necessary on laptops themselves but useful on power bricks? It is simply not reasonable to assume that it is possible for Apple to be in favour of such ports on its power bricks while being against them on their laptops.

It's like lobbying the Catholic Church to allow their priests to be (at least) married to gay partners since heterosexual ones are not allowed.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Kind of pathetic that Apple just doesn’t offer a portable notebook with an actual SD card slot in it. Most professionals with cameras use SD Cards and a built in reader was a nice feature.

Apple loves putting form over function and it’s pretty sad.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

robotfist

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
I know people are making fun of the fact that it places your USB ports far away from the machine, but for my working style, it actually kind of makes more sense to me. I often work on the couch and sit in a variety of positions all day. When I have drives or things hooked up close to the machine and hanging off the sides, I sometimes end up with things disconnecting when I change my sitting position. I also end up having a power cord and a hard drive cord dangling off the side which makes everything a bit awkward when working long hours with the laptop in my lap. Having the drive connect inline with the power cord and placed downstream by the outlet is a much cleaner way for my setup. I only have a single cable to worry about then. And when I move I don't have to worry about bumping the drive or moving it around on the sofa.

Reactions: SBlue1

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
I know people are making fun of the fact that it places your USB ports far away from the machine, but for my working style, it actually kind of makes more sense to me. I often work on the couch and sit in a variety of positions all day. When I have drives or things hooked up close to the machine and hanging off the sides, I sometimes end up with things disconnecting when I change my sitting position. I also end up having a power cord and a hard drive cord dangling off the side which makes everything a bit awkward when working long hours with the laptop in my lap. Having the drive connect inline with the power cord and placed downstream by the outlet is a much cleaner way for my setup. I only have a single cable to worry about then. And when I move I don't have to worry about bumping the drive or moving it around on the sofa.
Same with me. I don’t need my hard drive dangling around when I am on the couch. The other option would be to Velcro it to the back of the screen so this solution seems way better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.