New email from apple (applecare+)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Itsmorowind, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Itsmorowind macrumors member

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for your recent iPhone purchase at the Apple Online Store.

We would like to let you know that every iPhone comes with one year of
    hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to
    90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your
    coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone
    and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each
    subject to a $49 service fee.

We noticed you weren’t given the opportunity to add AppleCare+ to your
    iPhone. If you would like to extend your coverage for only $99, please
    reply to this email.

Thank you for shopping with Apple.

Sincerely,
    Apple Online Store Team

----------------------------------------------------------

Now the question is, do I want it? I plan on having my phone for 2 years. I've been known to drop my phone once in awhile.

2. blacka4 macrumors 6502

I got the same email, and replied. I am hoping they just don't apply it to my order but give me the option to purchase it later, like after next friday

3. outz macrumors 6502

it really just depends on you... i never keep an iphone longer than a year. the resale value on them is great. ive only ever really paid money for the first gen iphone, all the others sold for enough to buy a new subsidized one through att.

if you're clumsy and actually want to keep the phone for ~2 years, i would probably buy it. if you decide to sell it after ~1 year, the applecare+ will probably boost your resale value, more than making up the cost of purchasing it.

4. iThink Apple macrumors 6502

iThink Apple

YESSS you do!!! its very cheap!!! and after just $50 to replace a $649+ iPhone?? YESSSS i did for my iPhone 4S 64GB!

5. Virance macrumors regular

Does AC+ cover *all* accidental damage as long as I still have the device? Or are there limitations (and if so, does anyone have a link to them)?

If I drop the phone in the pool and it gets water logged, $49 to replace?
    If I run the phone over with my tractor, $49 to replace?
    If I lose the phone, $49 to replace (this one I anticipate to be a no)?

6. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i got same email and replied that i want it, i just checked my oreder and i see that applecare+ has been added on to it

7. ezrhino macrumors newbie

They will apply it to your order. I got the same email last night and sent a reply. AppleCare+ was added to my 4S pre-order today.

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

If you lose it, no. They cover accidental damage, not loss or theft. As long as the damage was accidental and not intentional (it says in their info that they can ask you to provide details about what happened) then it will be covered. It is limited to two accidental damage claims, so keep that in mind.

http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/applecareplusforiphone.html

9. ezrhino macrumors newbie

AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions

From the terms and conditions:

...Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH) coverage only applies to operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g., drops and liquid contact) that arises from your normal daily usage of the Covered Equipment as intended for such Covered Equipment. ADH coverage does not include (a) protection against normal wear and tear, theft, misplacement, reckless, abusive, willful or intentional conduct associated with handling and use of the Covered Equipment, (b) protection against any other act or result not covered by the Plan, as described in Section 4.2 below...

4.2 Hardware Coverage and ADH Coverage. The Plan does not apply to:
    (i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or provision of equipment while the
    Covered Equipment is being serviced;

(ii) Damage caused by (a) a product that is not the Covered Equipment, (b) abuse, misuse, fire,
    earthquake or other external causes, (c) operating the Covered Equipment outside the permitted or
    intended uses described by the manufacturer, or (d) service (including upgrades and expansions)
    performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider
    (“AASP”);

(iii) Covered Equipment with a serial number that has been altered, defaced or removed, or has
    been modified to alter its functionality or capability without the written permission of the
    manufacturer;

(iv) Covered Equipment that has been lost or stolen. This Plan only covers Covered Equipment that is
    returned to Apple in its entirety;

(v) Cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment, including but not limited to scratches and dents,
    that do not otherwise affect the functionality of the Covered Equipment;

(vi) Preventative maintenance on the Covered Equipment;

(vii) Defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to normal aging of the product; or

(viii) A pre-existing condition on any Covered Equipment if you purchased the Plan after you
    purchased the Covered Equipment

10. prncssmelissa macrumors newbie

AppleCare+ won't cover loss or theft, but will cover up to 2 (two) ADH incidents - whether they be water, cracked up screen that impairs use of your phone, etc, at $49 for each one.

I'm planning on adding AP+ to my phone, but probably not for another week or two - I'll just go to the Apple Store to do it though

11. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AppleCare+ is $100, plus $49 for each accident. An out of warranty without AppleCare is $149. Since that's the same amount, why would someone get AppleCare+?

12. haulis macrumors regular

Out of warranty is $200

13. Mclyter macrumors newbie

Correct.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318120263.977728.jpg

14. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

First, the $49 fee is only for accidental damage. You also get the benefit of 2 years' warranty (no fee for warranty repairs) in addition to the accidental damage coverage.

Also, you get 2 years' telephone support, instead of 90 days.

Finally:

The last one is a thin reason, if it were just that I'd agree with you. Anything not eligible for out-of-warranty service probably wouldn't be covered by AppleCare+ either. But with the other benefits I think it's a pretty good deal.

16. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Okay, so apparently if I want Applecare+, I have to either cancel my preorder with att and reorder through apple; thus delaying my phone by weeks, or I have to GO to an apple store. The closest apple store is 3 hours away!! &*&%^&%^$%#@#!!!!! I'm so ******* mad right now I can barely see straight. I'm seriously thinking about canceling my order and never buying another apple product for the rest of my life. But...I'm weak, so probably that won't happen. :mad: Still mad though. WTF are people like me supposed to do? I can't drive 3 hrs at the drop of a hat, ONE WAY, just to give apple another 100 bucks. It's not practical or even really feasible.

Okay. I'm done venting now. For a while anyway.