New enclosure or just processor?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by c073186, Nov 2, 2007.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Do you think that the upcoming update for the Mac Pro will be a complete revision including a whole new case or just an upgrade to the components (i.e. processor, video card, etc.)? Seeing as the Mac Pro has not been significantly altered in many years (case was not changed that much from move to Intel) I am hoping that Apple does more than just switches to the newer chipsets. I would like to see something entirely new.

2. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

I hope they keep the case as is. It is very efficient for cooling as well as keeping all of the noise inside.

Bring on the video card updates and new processors.

No one but a select few at Apple have a clue as to what will be forthcoming.

There are plenty of threads here that have speculations from guardrail to guardrail.

3. 98707 macrumors regular

Yeah or..

While I do rather like the quality, design, curves, efficiency, as well as smell of the current case...

Yeah ok.. I do feel that the Mac Pro needs a new look.. I think they should do something more like this.

[​IMG]

or we could keep it how it is...

[​IMG]

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably a lot like the MacBook and MacBook Pro, new chipset and new CPUs with update GPUs in the old case.

However, if they do go with the silly Nvidia SLI -- a slight case revision may show.

Don't think many are expecting that, just the straight Intel 5400 chipset (i think that was it) with the current Mac I/O mods.

5. Catch macrumors 6502

I don't know anyone that works on Macs that worry about the 'look' of the case. The functionality is everything. Having said that, if they can make it smaller and lighter without loosing expandability then why not? Also, I would LOVE to be able to rack mount the pros like we could do with the old G4s...

With all the time they have had to work on this revision one would think they would want to 'wow' the world with more industrial design firsts... after all, Jonathan needs to earn his keep!

Regards,

C

6. fernmeister macrumors regular

Agree. Something new would be, but performance is the key. Rack mounting would be cool.