New Entry Line Macbook Pro vs Last Gen's higher specs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by traderhen, Jun 8, 2007.

1. traderhen macrumors newbie

Which would you prefer to buy if you had a choice between the new Santa Rosa 15" base model MBP and the previous generation's 2.33Ghz midgrade line? Also, the cost would be the same.

Specs for Last Gen
    MA610LL/A 15" Notebook PC (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD SuperDrive, 256mb Video)

While the previous gen is missing the Santa Rosa platform, LED panel, among others, it does have a faster processor and twice the amount of graphics ram.

2. Patch^ macrumors regular

tough question, but I guess I would go for the SR, it's got a better graphics card and more future proof i.e. RAM/LED and energy efficient. Plus I guess you could say it's cheaper depending on the circumstances.

However I'm bias cuz I ordered the 2.2GHz SR MBP lol.

3. Igantius macrumors 65816

No contest - the new machine. Better battery life and faster bus.

Barefeats have some tests between the models, which are worth checking out.

4. traderhen thread starter macrumors newbie

that's a good way to start - I'll check the out what benchmarks i can find. thanks

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

I don't think they tested the new 2.2GHz, but it's still a handy comparison.

Also the newer models can take more RAM.

6. Episteme macrumors regular

The only thing that I find interesting about the better model MBP is the video RAM - I use computers for gaming as well as working, so that would make a difference...

However, the newer models have better battery life, better GPU, can take a full 4GB vs 3GB of the old model, likely a better resale value down the road should you ever need it ...

The CPU difference is fairly minimal, and the faster FSB will help mitigate some of that, as well as the "overdrive" tech where if one core's idle and the other core is running full tilt, the busy core will overclock by ~10%, so you can hit around 2.4GHz for single threaded apps... Intel Dynamic Acceleration is the official name. I assume this works on Macs, anyway. Don't quote me tho' :)

So you're pretty much left with just the video RAM as being better - which will be at least partially offset by the faster GPU in the new model.

Of course, games are rarely great on a laptop anyway. I just like the option.

I'll take the new model. :)