New 'Epix Now' Service Offers 4K TV and Movies for $5.99 Per Month

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Epix, owned by MGM, today announced the launch of a new Epix Now service, which provides access to original Epix TV shows and thousands of movies for $5.99 per month.

Original Epix Now TV shows include "Berlin Station," "Deep State," "Get Shorty," "Graves," and "Pennyworth."

[​IMG]

The service also offers popular movies that include "Arrival," "A Quiet Place," "Mother," "Jack Reacher: Never Go Back," "Iron Man 2," and more. Many classic films are also included.

Epix Now is offering some of its content in 4K, and offline viewing is an available option. The four Epix linear live channels are available to Epix Now users as well.
    Content can be watched on the Apple TV and iOS devices, with Epix offering a 7-day free trial.

Epix Now has a lot of services to compete with, including Netflix, Hulu, HBO NOW, STARZ, Showtime, and others.

Article Link: New 'Epix Now' Service Offers 4K TV and Movies for $5.99 Per Month

2. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Do basically all these services will get 5.99 a year from me as I skip from one service to the next binge watching.

Yes I said a year. I will have no loyalty to any one service. I wonder if they’ll make more or less this way.

Can I invent a word/phrase for 2019 - Binge jumping. The act of jumping from one provider to the next binging all they have to offer.

3. Unity451 macrumors regular

Unity451

Oh good... I was starting to get worried because it's been more than 24 hours since a new content service for me to subscribe to has been launched. I'll sleep much better tonight.

4. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

How long before some clever, enterprising individual negotiates a big reseller discounts with the main providers?

So you subscribe to GarryFlix for $29.95 a month and get access to Netflix, Amazon, Disney and all the others.

I may need to work on the name.

5. luvbug macrumors regular

luvbug

Seems they all offer a free week to evaluate. With all these individual streaming services coming out almost daily, you could just do the free week on one at a time, and when you make it through them all, you'll probably be able to start over again, due to the longish period since you canceled. Personally, I don't watch any of it. Content these days is 95% about people behaving badly, and I really don't need to pay to be reminded, thank you.

6. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It's already happening in some countries. Virgin Media resell Netflix in many territories, as does Sky in the UK both to their respective set top boxes, and combine it with their own box set bundle at a discount. Sky also integrate Netflix with their own homescreen and programme recommendations.

7. eightdotthree macrumors newbie

I'd be happy happy with a service that simply organizes all the content from all of these services into one organized grid menu. I'm at the point now where I watch shows across multiple services, but I end up forgetting about a show somewhere along the line. ***** a mess. A perfect setup for me would be Hulu's My Stuff area, but pulls from all services.

8. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

It's called cable. And it used to be $29.95 a month.

9. ralphdaily macrumors regular

Great! I’m subscribing to watch Berlin Station.

10. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

All these streaming services added together are creeping closer to my late cable bill.

11. kmm1482 macrumors newbie

Haha!! I was just thinking this! Pretty soon cable will cost half as much as subscribing to 500 different streaming services. Circle of Stream

12. Scooz macrumors 6502

Where’s the 3D (stereoscopic) streaming service?

Cinema, Bluray and purchase-only aren’t contemporary alternatives.

13. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

They completely stopped producing and selling 3D TVs a couple years ago, so I'm guessing that's not coming.

14. 2010mini macrumors 68040

So in other words..... cable tv?

15. Scooz macrumors 6502

Hm, with projectors and cheap but hires VR glasses there’s enough hardware to run on. And there still should be some 4K TV with 3D support, from what I saw last year.

I’ll continue to buy disks, but I’d prefer a streaming option beyond Sony’s limited offering.

Probably more an issue of enthusiasts paying for disks anyway.

16. subjonas macrumors 68000

This is way to go, I believe. I’ll keep a cheap grandfathered subscription like my directv now mostly for live sports, and Netflix as there are a ton of shows on there that I like to watch regularly. But all the rest I’m happy to start and stop monthly one at a time, and binge for that month like you said. It takes a bit more strategic planning, but well worth saving what could otherwise come out to hundreds of dollars more per year.

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

And that is why I set up my own in home movie / tv show server, where I can watch 'Get Smart, NYPD Blue, Hill Street Blues, Green Acres, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, Cheers, Ed, Friends, Seinfeld, Chips, The A-team, Kung-Fu and all the other shows and classic cartoons I grew up on. I am not into the reality tv garbage.

I use Directv Now and find that I watch my server more and more.

18. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Sign me up.

In many cases, it's hard to beat the classics :).

19. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

Berlin Station is an excellent show. I streamed the first or second season through openload. That said Epix really doesn’t offer much in comparison to Netflix or Amazon which are the only two must have services imo. Both offer the most 4K Dolby Vision and HDR10 content without having to spend $20-30 a pop on discs or $20 each on iTunes for a version without lossless audio.

As far as movies Epix primarily has Paramount. Typically they’ll have all of the big movies that I’ve either already seen or that suck. Many of the best movies and tv shows today aren’t even made by Hollywood.

20. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I have come to accept that I don’t need to subscribe to many streaming services. First of all there is more content being produced than I could ever watch. I have friends ask me “Really? You haven’t seen that show yet??” all the time. I just can’t sit in front of the TV for long unless I’m sick. Besides, my money would be better spent on adding new hobbies such as carpentry and astrophotography instead of mindlessly staring into a rectangle for hours per day. But that’s just me. The older I get, the more I realize how many things I want to learn and I worry I won’t be able to do it all. If I could have a do-over I’d be more active and try more new things. That is my advice, but nobody cares, people just want to consume.

21. TallGuyGT macrumors regular

TallGuyGT

The TV App on my AppleTV 4K does this with the apps I have installed (with the annoying exception of Netflix). It shows me when new episodes of my shows are available, as well as recommending other movies and shows. The cool thing is that it shows what services, say for a particular movie, is available on - so I can watch on HBO Now instead of paying extra for an iTunes rental. The PS Vue integration is now a bonus, as I use it as my cable replacement.

22. Octavius8 macrumors member

Octavius8

So less and less content in each service and crappy movies (Remember the video home or direct to VHS movies concept) pushed every month in Netflix. It is cable tv in the form of OTT. Soon they will be grouped together. How about a service that has the extras that DVD/BR have?, like director comments, extra scenes, alternative endings, etc. For that I would pay an extra.
    I can't pay for 10 different streaming services, I will pay for 3 and then... let's say that a lot of people will resort to the old alternative ways of watching exactly what they want instead of paying full and suffering 90% of bad content.

23. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

You forgot Mr. Ed., My Mother the Car, My Favortie Martin, I Dream of Jeannie, McHales Navy, The Avengers, Mission Impossible, The Prisoner, Nanny and the Professor, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Land of the Giants, The Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and your list can be serious with no Gilligan’s Island on it. :rolleyes:
    What a werid line up you have for a media server.

24. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Not weird. I didn’t set up my server with the expectation of pleasing you or anyone else.

25. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Most but not all on Hulu, Hulu should try to get more of us old fogey by getting as much classic tv as possible