New(er) MacBook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Euphoria1985, May 2, 2010.

1. Euphoria1985 macrumors newbie

Well the new ones just came out now in April, which I think was relatively late by what most people were expecting. What I want to ask if is there is any speculation about the next model, in regard to estimated release time (i.e. end of summer would be too soon right? so would it be around Christmas or what would a somewhat educated guess be?)

Also, in terms of the technology that exists or is almost ready to be used in laptops, what could realistically be expected from the next model? Or otherwise, would it be more likely that the next update will just be a spec bump and some small stuff or something relatively big?

Cheers for any advice

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Due to the fact that the I series chips just came out don't expect a big speed bump in power anytime soon. The only thing that Apple would upgrade would be to USB 3.0 but that still hinges on Intel allowing it on the motherboards. I say 9 months at the earliest.

3. Dany M macrumors 6502

Well, don't they usually have an event in September or october for macbooks?

4. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Seriously? Come on, give us a break... new ones just out... now some folks will start asking whether to buy the current model or wait for the new ones to be released... :confused:

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That event lately has been for the lower end Macbooks not the pro machines.

Realistically these new machines are fast enough for most people to last may years. Buy now and enjoy.

6. Euphoria1985 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about that :p But basically, I can't justify buying the model that just came out yet, and if I wait until around late summer or later I know there is no way I will buy the current model and just wait for the new one... so I guess curiosity has gotten the best of me now and wanted to hear peoples' thoughts on the coming model

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Look at the MacRumors guide. You'll see that there isn't a predictable release schedule. It's loosely tied to Intel's architecture roadmap.

This is unlike iPods / iPhones (and perhaps iPads, tbd...), where we know new iPhones are in Juneish and new iPods are in the fall.

8. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

I see. Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh - but you must realize this is a game you can/will NEVER win. By the moment new consumer electronics products hit their final phase of design, they're usually technically obsolete already. Even if you buy the current model today - which was released less than 1 month ago - soon enough it will seem old either by new non-apple releases, or even by others' pure speculations!

So the answer is classic: if you need it, buy it, be happy with it and stop thinking about it - the illusion of having the "latest state-of-the-art" model will always be elusive, short and temporary anyway. Better yet, consider buying refurbished, save some money, and accept any limitations. And if you can't justify it now, or if it doesn't suit your needs, then don't.

As a side note, I'd say the worse part of the extreme consumerism trend we see these days, is the amount of anxiety it places on some people, as some do link their personal values to very marginal and elusive tech edges. I'm not saying this is your case, but it amazes me how many people play into this game with companies that exploit such ignorance for profit. Lately among mac users you can see how some seem to buy vanity stuff instead of simple computers.

BTW, how did the repair of your current computer's screen go? were you able to replace it?

Cheers!

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I know a lot places mark this computer as a "Early 2010" MacBook Pro; however if you look at Apple's documentation, this computer is listed as a "Mid 2010" MacBook Pro.

What does that mean for buyers? Well last year when they introduced the MacBook Pros in June, it was the Mid 2010 model; back in 2008 with the Late 2008 update it was in October. However likewise you shouldn't expect any updates that soon (June to October 2010), therefore expect to wait until January for any possible updates (assuming Intel/AMD has something good by then).