New ethical question for leopard family pack use.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryanmcd02, Nov 22, 2007.

1. ryanmcd02 macrumors member

I bought my powerbook on eBay. It was sold with a clean installation of leopard. The seller purchased a family pack for his family's use and installed it on this one before he sold it. So obviously, he shipped it without the restore discs.

Under the user agreement, is it wrong for me to use this version of leopard? I am not sure - he bought it and installed it on a computer which he owned and then sold the computer. I think this seems more 'wrong' because of how new leopard is--if he was shipping it with a copy of tiger (now outdated, but for the sake of this assume tiger also being purchased in a family pack) it would seem more acceptable. So do I need to buy the leopard disc just for the sake of being in the clear?

Otherwise stated, if a computer bought with Panther included is upgraded to tiger or leopard via family pack, does it have to be downgraded to be sold?

Even if the answer is no, I realize that I ought to buy a copy anyways for its purpose. But if the answer is no and there is a way of creating a restore disc from my computer I could consider that (but I don't know if it is possible). That said, I am really asking if this is morally correct, not physically able. I would like to keep my conscience clean.

EDIT: I have seen the sticky on this topic before posting, although this particular circumstance was not discussed.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You do not have a license to use that software. Fair enough, you did not agree to the license conditions, the seller did, but still the only ethical thing to do is to wipe it back to a version of OSX you have a legal right to use.

3. ryanmcd02 thread starter macrumors member

Well then I think my two options are:
    A) Get him to send me the restore discs for tiger (if he has those), or B) buy leopard.
    If I buy leopard, do I still need to do a clean install, or will I be able to use the discs to restore even though they are not the same discs that put leopard on the computer? In this I am assuming that by simply purchasing leopard I am fulfilling my part of the agreement (without actually installing it).

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Leopard is Leopard: any copy will restore fine, and yes if you purchase a copy you will have a license to use it without re-installing.

5. ryanmcd02 thread starter macrumors member

6. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Just buy a copy of Leopard to have and leave the current install as it is.

Honestly, since there's absolutely *no* no way to tell, who cares?