New Expose + Stickies

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qizhe130, Aug 30, 2009.

1. qizhe130 Guest

Does this bother anyone else? This is the only thing that really bothers me about Snow Leopard so far.

I rather miss the old Expose, actually. There was something pretty about how windows of different sizes jigsawed together.

Attached Files:

2. eileena macrumors newbie

Yes. This bothers me too and is also the only thing that bothers me so far. I would like the option to not "expose" every single stickie...I have almost 40 on my desktop that I keep collapsed and then expand when I need them so you can imagine what expose looks like for me.

My solution was to assign stickies to its own spaces desktop. This works for me for how I use stickies but I can imagine that this solution would make stickies pointless for those who need it in sight on their desktop.

In the future I think it would be nice to disable expose for certain apps like stickies.

3. wankey macrumors 6502a

They've kinda gone backwards 1 step and fowards another. The new expose doesn't really work that great whilst they lose the huge feature on the old expose, that is window importance. Large windows are sized larger for a reason, they are more important. For instance, if I expose using VLC, the video window and the control window a realtively the same size width wise. That is completely not what's going on on my screen, since the video window is nearlly 1280px wise and the control window is 200px.

4. faunaman macrumors newbie

Definitively HATE the new exposé. Thanks guys and gals for opening this thread, I needed to share my anger with someone :)

I just don't understand why have the changed to worse! Apple had us used to changing to better stuff, and this is really a huge mistake. It even makes me thinks of Vista, horrible standard windows, too much gap between them, as Wankey said, the point of the importance of each window is gone, as well as intuitive use.
    With the old exposé I just had to check the size of the downloads window to get to it at once, now I actually have to read the title under the window and check the content.
    Hope someone develops a way to come back to the old exposé.

BTW, I also hate the scroll in the stacks!

In Leopard, tha size and shape adapted to the number of items inside the stacks, now there is a default size for every item and we have this awful scroll bar which kills the functionality of the stack (even though you can preview with the space bar)

5. alexandero macrumors regular

Why would anyone want his VLC control panel or any other small app (calculator, stickies, Safari downloads pane,...) have the same size as the 'important' windows? Plus, why use a grid instead of the old way of arranging windows?

Oh I really hope someone can find a terminal setting that can be used to re-enable the 'old' Exposé view. The new Exposé is just sad.

Seems like quality control at Apple is Steve Jobs and no one else. And if Steve is out of office, you'll end up with bad interface designs (Exposé), lost functionality (QuickTime, AppleTalk, printer drivers) and instability (many reports of SL crashing - mine crashed during the installation process).

6. faunaman macrumors newbie

Sad but true! All this Snow Leopard thing, besides having been hugely delayed (delayed for too long taking into account the minor changes made) seem to have been developed under an uncertain direction.
    I think we might be dealing with Apple's own "Vista". I am using both Leopard and SL on two computers and definitively can do without SL. It may be faster on some aplications and start-up, but that's all

7. qizhe130 thread starter Guest

My solution was to press Command+H to hide the application. I have my Stickies set on all Spaces.

I also noticed a bug where clicking on Finder would move to my Finder Space but automatically focus on Stickies. Hiding Stickies stopped this from happening while it was hidden.

8. platypus63 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

So there is no option in system preferences or anywhere to disable this Grid-view Expose and use the organic, different sized window expose of 10.5?

9. sonspot macrumors member

and this is why i think SL should have been a service pack for leopard and not something you should pay for but thats just my opinion,. not being able to turn off the track pad when using a mice is retarded (nice feature), why would they take that out.

10. damian001 macrumors newbie

I also dislike the new Expose. It looks odd to have my FireFox window shrunk, in comparison to iTunes' MiniPlayer or Adium. There's also a large amount of empty space that could've been used to increase window size.

I also got rid of the blue highlighting and replaced it with the textures in the new Grid view :)

Remember to send feedback to Apple to request a preference setting to get the old Expose back.

Attached Files:

11. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

I have about a dozen windows open and as a visual person, with old exposé I could always recognize them by their size and what they look like. Now all the windows are scaled to be the exact same size and you can't see anything what's in them as they turn into tiny unreadable pixel junk.

Come on Apple.

12. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Ugh. I was going to post this thread last night after I installed leopard. For the most part, Im not that impressed.

This is the one standout thing I notice and I CANNOT STAND IT!

Argh

13. glowrider macrumors regular

On my MBP I use the 4 fingers up and down to use expose, and it sticks...If I move four fingers up and then pull back down to bring windows back to the desktop and let go, they will bounce back clear.

Same in reverse, if I pull four fingers down to view all windows and push back up and reset, it will bounce back...

This is when I do it all in one motion without releasing my fingers from the trackpad.

Wildly annoying...

14. damian001 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue too. I REALLY hope that one gets fixed because it's actually defective... :\

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I personally love the way they changed Exposé. The new method is cleaner and more organized. I never really liked how the windows were scattered all over in no particular order. It looked like chaos. The new Exposé grid view is excellent.

I'm a fan.

16. glowrider macrumors regular

17. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Can you please specifically state the file paths that you switched/replaced? I'd love to get rid of the ugly blue box... thanks! :)

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

System>Library>CoreServices>Dock.app>Contents>Resources

Go to http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewforum.php?id=2 There's some cool Exposé mods in that forum. Enjoy!

19. damian001 macrumors newbie

I got it from the person's post above me. It's called 2D Expose

http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16798583

20. cubedweller macrumors 6502

21. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Add me to the list of people with this problem.

22. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Haha i thought it was just me! At first i thought hold on im doing something wrong and started to question myself about it, then i remembered i had installed snow leopard. Hopefully should be sorted soon. I also don't like the new expose. Like a previous comment said i have to check each window to see what it is, it is no longer as obvious by a quick glance. And as for the blue borders it really looks like a graphical error as opposed to an effect :rolleyes:

23. platypus63 macrumors regular

I wonder if there's a terminal hack to get expose to behave differently for now, like there was for the dock in 10.5. Anyone with the technical know-how?

24. bagvoo macrumors newbie

Sent to apple feedback:

Please add the option to implement the old (leopard) expose window placement and size scheme, as well as an option to turn / off the window highlighting scheme. While I understand that the new scheme may be faster, the old scheme was nicer easier to use, and screamed at the top of it's lungs "THIS IS WHAT A MAC SHOULD BE.". Expose was the de-facto example of why mac OS X was so much better than a Windows. The new scheme gives me a slight shiver up my spine as it is vaguely similar to the Windows 7 thumbnail scheme.

Please give feedback to apple at:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

25. klundtasaur macrumors newbie

Google brought me here looking for the same thing. Anyone know how to revert Exposé to the Pre-Snow Leopard way of arranging windows?