New External Hard drive on UMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hasek3139, Sep 9, 2010.

1. hasek3139 macrumors 6502

so i just got a 500 gb WD scorpio black HDD @ 7200rpm

and i do have a time capsule with all my backups and stuff on it

so do i just pop in the new HDD , throw in the install DVD and restore rom time machine back up?

or is there something else i should do?

thanks

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Yep, that seems to be right.
    They have a "Migration Assistant" after you have reinstalled the OS on the new HDD that helps you through the whole process.

3. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

the only thing is i only have the leoprd 10.5 cd and its snow leopard thats backed up to my time capsule, does that matter at all?

4. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

I think that Time Machine only backs up your documents, not any OS information.
    You do know that you have to reinstall the OS on the new HDD right? So you put in the 10.5 CD and it will prompt you to install the OS on the drive. Only after installing the OS on the new drive will you be able to plug in the Time Capsule and restore any documents from it.

P.S. if you come across any problems with installing the new OS, i'll check this topic every so often and see if I can help you :)

5. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

um im still confused lol

i thought with time capsule eveyrthing is saved on there. that is why it does daily backups.

so i pop in the HDD

pop in the install DVD from leopard 10.5

then cant i just clik restore from back up and it will restore to what my old HDD had

6. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Time Machine ONLY backs up your documents, NOT the operating system itself. When you remove the old HDD, the operating system goes with it. Therefore, when you insert the 10.5 installation disc, you will have to reinstall mac OSX 10.5. This takes about 30 minutes or so. Once you have done that, it will prompt you to either set up the computer as if it were a new one, or grab files from a time machine backup or another HDD. Select the option for a Time Machine backup and select what you want to transfer to the new HDD (everything I assume) and it will transfer all your old documents to the new HDD with the OS reinstalled on it. The OS will be 10.5, not 10.6, as that is what you have the installation disc for.

7. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Hmmm..... I found a new guide that may suggest otherwise....
    Try reading through this

I didnt think that time machine backed up the OS, but it seems that it actually might do so... just read through that for a bit, memorize/print the instructions and try doing them.

8. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

haha thats funny i JUST finished reading that article!

but that still didn't answer my question as to wether or not i can use the leopard 10.5 cd to restore from time capsule which has snow leopard backed on it, or does it not matter since the whole OS is saved there and it is just using the cd to restore

9. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

I'd say just try it. I really cant fine anything out there suggesting that it wouldnt work, it seems that you are just using the 10.5 disk to get the utility that allows you to copy from a time machine backup.

10. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

I just did this myself with my ssd. Install the new hdd, boot the osx install disk then tell it to restore from time machine(not from disk util) and when it's done your computer will be back like you had it from the last backup from time machine. You don't have to install osx first then restore from time machine. It doesn't just backup documents.

11. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks man, i called apple earlier today and they said same thing :) hows ur ssd? and what one u get? and how long did it take to restore

12. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

It's great, very fast, hardly any hesitation from it. I got the Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB, as for the restore process about 2, 3 hours I believe, I set it up to restore then went to work for the day so I can't give you an exact number. It was restoring around 40-50GB's. When I got home I reboot it and booted like nothing happened, except it booted in less than 30 seconds because of the SSD installed. :) It started where I left it off before the swap and restore.