New External Hard Drives Crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WhiteMagicVerse, Feb 25, 2009.

1. WhiteMagicVerse macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I often use external hard drives to back up my work. Recently I purchased a 1TB Lacie drive. I took a week to build a lovely new file structure for my work. At the end of this week, I began deleting the old files on other hard drives so as to transfer my new neatly structured work back on. In the midst of this, the brand new hard drive crashed, illiciting only the clicking sound of death.

That hard drive, some of my work (a very small amount but still) and a week's worth of sweat and blood was gone in an instant. The person I took it to to look at it mentioned a power surge as being a possible cause for the crash.

Anyway, I returned the lacie and bought a 1T Western Digital Mybook (silver). I then began dumping the old back ups onto this.

A week in and this one is crashed too. No clicking sound of death. It calmly sits on my desk with it's unceasing unblinking blue light and refuses to show up in utilities no matter what I do. So I assume it's a goner also. I'll return it also of course.

So...my question is....Is something causing these drives to fail...that exists in my walls? Are there power surges causing my drives to die...? OR is it simply a case of bad luck with my choices of new drives?

Any thoughts or suggestions are very welcome.

Thank you!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm gonna go with door 2. What kind of surge protection are you using? Do you have any problems with brownouts/blackouts where you are?

3. WhiteMagicVerse thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't. I'm not really sure what options are available in terms of this. I actually didn't know surges could even be a problem (or how they're caused)

Also...Bought two more 1T Western Digital HDs this week. Just powered them both up so as to finally maybe get this back up done. The second one refuses to power up. Spins and dies. No blue light or anything.

4. WhiteMagicVerse thread starter macrumors newbie

No problems with brown or black outs. If there were, surely my desktop would have been turned off during this. The desktop and hard drives are connected at the same mains.

5. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

At minimum you should have surge-protectors connected to your computer equipment. The problem isn't from a lack of electricity (like a black- or brown-out), it's the surge of too much electricity that can cause damage.

Surges can happen by just turning an appliance on or off in your house, or it can come from external sources, like a lightning storm.

6. WhiteMagicVerse thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thank you. I don't have any such things on my computer. If you can tell me where I should pick these up and what I'm asking for I'll be down like a shot to pick them up tomorrow!

7. WhiteMagicVerse thread starter macrumors newbie

"Belkin 8-Socket SurgeMaster Maximum Series
    The Maximum Series offers high-end surge protection for your advanced computers, peripherals, phone/fax, DSL/cable modems, and more."

This should do I assume?

Thanks!

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

9. WhiteMagicVerse thread starter macrumors newbie