New External HD Unreadable

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eyesawred2, Feb 10, 2009.

1. eyesawred2 macrumors member

eyesawred2

Hello
    I brought a new HD and enclosure. My goal was to use Superduper to transfer the contents of my old HD to my new HD. But, I have an error message "disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". I picked initialized and the external isn't even listed on the panel on the left. Should I use the CD the came with the enclosure? Just so you know, I did a search on MRoogle and didnt find what I am looking for. The enclosure and the HD are mac compatiable so I am at a loss...any help would be lovely.

thanks

2. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Try to format it with disk utility. If you cannot see it in disk utility, it might be DOA.

Also could be a power issue, sometimes USB ports do not give off enoughjuice to power certain drives.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Most definitely this. If the external drive is a 3.5" drive, USB alone won't be enough to power it, in almost all cases. If it's an off the shelf HDD, it may be NTFS formatted, so you'll have to use Disk Utility to format it as HFS+ Journaled.

If what you have is an off the shelf internal drive with a 3rd party enclosure, you may need to use a 2nd USB port or a power adapter as well, depending on the enclosure, and how it's setup.

Edit: Since you mentioned it came with a CD, what exactly is on that disc? If its a Mac-software pack, usually they include it for a reason ;)

4. eyesawred2 thread starter macrumors member

eyesawred2

You guys are sooo fast....I love it

DOA? Well isn't THAT just awesome. It's a 2.5. SATA drive and the enclosure has 2USB ports. The drive is not in Disk Utility. Is this a common occurance? Buying an enclosure and having it NOT work, first day out? So, should I just install my new HD into my macbook and use my other external HD to do a "restore" on my new HD? (excuse me if I am using the wrong terminology)

thanks

5. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Open the case to make sure its seated correctly. Do not risk damaging the case because it will void the warranty if you break the case or damage it. Try both USB ports on the drive and Both ports on the laptop. I would figure out the issue before placing it in the laptop. If the enclosure is bad, you swap drives, install the original disks you then you have a new hard drive but no way to get to your old data until you fix the problem. Also try different cables to make sure. Just keep checking disk utility, if it does not sure, one of the devices is more than likely bad.

6. eyesawred2 thread starter macrumors member

eyesawred2

So, I reset the HD and it is still not readable but it is in disk utility. What do I do now? Erase or First Aid?

Thanks

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Before you open anything up ... what Mac are you connecting it to? Is it a laptop? Is the drive bus powered (ie. uses a USB cable only) or are you using a power supply?

If it's bus powered, there may not be enough juice to power it up. Try it on another USB port. If that doesn't work, try another computer, preferably a desktop. If it works on another computer, you might have to get a Y USB cable to provide extra power.

If none of that applies, or it doesn't work on another computer, then yes, it may be DOA.

8. animaxcg macrumors regular

Erase