New External HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahirufossil, Dec 18, 2010.

1. ahirufossil macrumors newbie

So I just bought a new external HD to back up all my stuff and I reformatted it suing disk utility so that I can read and write on it. The problem is that after deleting files on the new HD, the "space available" at the bottom of the folder would not increase after deleting them. Originally it said I had 999.16GB of free space but after putting 1GB file and deleting it, the free space is down to 998 GB but doesn't go back up to 999.16GB...Does anyone know what is going on???

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you emptied the Trash yet (CMD+SHIFT+OPTION+BACKSPACE)?

Btw, it is better to use a thread title that describes the problem instead of using a generic one.

3. ahirufossil thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. Files are being deleted from the external HD and its gone but the space of the HD is still the same...

God idea...I'm a newbie here...

4. simsaladimbamba

The HDD space is still the same after you have emptied the Trash? That is strange.
    Take a look at JDisk Report (http://www.jgoodies.com/downloads/index.html) orOmniDiskSweeper or even DiskInvetory X to see, where the HDD space went to.

5. ahirufossil thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha...I am retarded. Thanks simsaladimbamba. I got it

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

If you enable hidden folders you will see there is a hidden folder created on the drive that has the Trash you "deleted" I had this problem also and really didnt find a solution except some crap long terminal commands but I dont see why Mac does this, wish I could change it.