Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SchoolDaze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Currently I've always used windows PCs and even tried playing around with a few different linux distros but I've always been curious to get a Mac and try it. Of course my current situation is that I have over 110GBs of files on my windows pc that I'd like to not only back up but also use the same drive to trans some of the information(maybe later all of it) to my new MacBook I plan on getting. What format would the external hd have to be so my PC is able to read/write to it and so that I can pull files from it to my Mac? Or is it even possible I could have it set so it can be read/written to from both my PC and the Mac?

My other question is when I do get the MacBook I plan on also getting a wireless router, with that, could I hook my external hd up to it (usb only I guess?) and read/write files across the network to the hd?

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
If you get Time Capsule you could use it for both backup and wireless. I don't know about which format though...

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
About the backing up to external hard drive using wireless cboss was right the Timecapsule is your best, if not slightly expensive option.

And in order to transfer files from Windows to Mac using an external drive it will need to be FAT or FAT32 formatted

:D:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.