Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSUbuckeyefan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2001
I just checked the apple website and the face of the new powermac appears to have the chrome trim removed. Thank god, lol

flanders

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Atlanta, GA
is it just me or did all the chrome disappear in favour of something a bit less "shiny?" Kinda looks like brushed metal now...am i going nuts?

OSUbuckeyefan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2001
Originally posted by DaedalusDE
If you click on the picture on the main page and look at the picture of the opened dual optical drives, the chrome comes back... ITS MAGIC!!!!

yeah i see it.

I wonder what they actually look like then. Chrome or no chrome...?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
they are effectively mirrors - the shiny silvery plastic. I'm not a big fan of them. And in the airvents on the front - the inside is also the mirrored plastic surface.

Apple's pics were professionally taken in a studio with complimentary lighting, so you don't see the reflections.

D

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger
it's probably just lighting and what they had it facing

No, is not that, they changed it, chrome plastic gets dirty with the finger tips, besides it doesn't support the color well.

I like the new material better, it is more simple.

Spike Spiegel

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
Massachusetts
hmmmm... when i saw them in CompUSA the other day, they were chrometastically shiny, but the front page of apple has always had the same picture, it's just that it would look slightly odd if there was some photographer in the reflections of the brand new powermac on the main page.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
powermac

i have one of the new ones. looks exactly like the back of the ipods.

iJon

Macwizzard

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2001
Holladay, UT
those things

Are those four little things on the front there for any particular reason other than to be looked at? stupid question, but I NEED TO KNOW!

onemoof

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
This computer should be called the "Power Mac ƒ-series" because it has a built-in makeup mirror for females. The lower drive door is also a useful compartment to store all of the eye liner and lipstick.

onemoof

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Re: those things

Originally posted by Macwizzard
Are those four little things on the front there for any particular reason other than to be looked at? stupid question, but I NEED TO KNOW!

The four holes on the front are necessary for air intake. The fan pulls air in from the front and disperses it through the interior and out the "speed holes" on the back. This computer has the most "speed holes" I've ever seen.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Re: those things

Originally posted by onemoof

The four holes on the front are necessary for air intake. The fan pulls air in from the front and disperses it through the interior and out the "speed holes" on the back. This computer has the most "speed holes" I've ever seen.

i took a good long look at the new PM yesterday and if you look up into the vent holes in the front there are mirrors in there. i think they would get alot more airflow if they were just holes. but this is Apple, so form over function is no surprise.

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
Here's the pic

g4.jpg

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
Noisy? That sucks. Why the hell did they redesign it if they have exactly the same problems as before? So it can carry one more hard disk and replaces the zip with a 5.25" bay. Woopie.

And no they did not design that heatsink+fan for the upcoming IBM chip... it would be rediculous to make an oversized heatsink for months and months just because some day they intend to use it in a new model. They could have easily kept making Quicksilvers till that day and saved a bundle. ...Not to mention that the Power4-based chips will certainly not be compatible with the daugtercard Apple is currently using, and not compatible with the motherboard either.

In my humble opinion, if this new case is as loud as the last one than Apple has wasted their money making it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.