New Facebook homepage layout - perfect for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gymgenius, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Gymgenius Suspended

After initial disgust, the new facebook layout (normal site) is beginning to grow on me, as I imagine how good it's going to look on an iPad.

Anyone else think it's ideally suited to browsing on iPad (in portrait mode)?

2. Sketh macrumors 6502

Sketh

I thought this new layout and the previous one would look great on the iPad.

Assuming the chat menu scrolls on the bottom like it's supposed to, instead of floating in mid page.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd imagine that the iPad Facebook app will have more adaption for the iPad, and the majority of iPad users will use the app, rather than using the web site.

4. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I'm not sure how many resources they will put into an iPad app if the website version works well. Right now they don't even seem to be putting a lot of resources into the iPhone app which seems to have lots of issues with many users. I feel sure they will have a working app on the iPad someday, but I don't quite see them coming up with a full blown large screen interface by launch date.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

That would be because the fella that done the app has stepped down and only works on the app a little bit.

6. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

I usually prefer http://touch.facebook.com/ on my iPhone.
    Works great.

I can't find it right now, but Joe Hewitt (who wrote the FB app) has said somewhere he was possibly interested in coming back to code on the iPad.

"As a developer, it’s a bit sad losing the ability to come up with crazy plugins and daemons and system-level utilities, but I believe it’s a tradeoff worth making. What people are overlooking is that the Internet is an integral part of the iPhone OS, and it is the part of the OS you can tinker with to your heart’s delight. If you want to invent a new scripting language or background service or something, you’re still totally free to do that, but you’re going to have to run it on a web server. If you want total freedom on the client side, then write a web app. You’re simply no longer going to be able to tempt users into installing software that corrupts their computer."
    -Joe Hewitt via emergent by design.

7. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Agreed! Im not to keen on the web version of facebook at the moment, Only really use it on my iPhone

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

http://joehewitt.com/post/ipad/

Facebook today announced 100 million FB users are using mobile services, up from 65 million last September.
    So they've got 100 million mobile, of a total of around 400 million. So 1 in 4, or 25% are using mobile - that's nothing to sniff at.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/10/facebook-mobile-stats/

9. Gymgenius thread starter Suspended

I'd rather use the website than the app on iPad - especially with the new format of the homepage.