New Facebook Messenger redesign will be more iOS 7-like.

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by kappaknight, Oct 29, 2013.

1. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

2. vaultwit macrumors regular

Can someone tell me what the purpose/benefit is of having the FB Messenger app in addition to the regular FB app? There is a messaging feature built into the regular app, with perfectly working push notifications and everything. Why does there need to be a separate messenger app? Am I missing something?

3. kappaknight thread starter macrumors 68000

kappaknight

For me personally, I allow push notification from the Messenger app, but not the FB app itself. There would be way too many notifications popping up for me if I kept track of all the FB activities on my feed.

Also, it's nice not having to drag the circle down to X it out after every single chat/interaction. Granted, I know these are small things compared to the big picture, but I do use this app more than the other 50 I have on my phone that I haven't touched in over a year. <shrug> To each their own...

4. dominic252 macrumors member

Landscape typing. I don't really see the point of it either, yet I still use it and like it more than the Facebook app. Not too sure why, either

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Some don't really use Facebook at all or don't use it much, but because they might have a lot of friends that do they end up using Messenger for messaging quite a bit. Others who even do use Facebook fairly often might not really want to launch and have it running a lot of the time just to message as Facebook itself is a much more bloated app in comparison to just Messenger. Beyond that, as I recall, Messenger also offers some more and/or easier to access features (like landscape typing, easier/faster to control notifications, etc.).

6. Primejimbo, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I just love people who think they are "too cool" for facebook and stuff :rolleyes: . Personally I like it to keep in contact with friends and family all over the country. I have gotten closer to a few friends and family because of it also.

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

People with friends do.

8. rocat1997 macrumors regular

Messenger is the only way I've been able to get push notifications from Facebook if someone texts me. Before I installed it, Facebook wouldn't show a text or any kind of notification. Now, when someone texts, I get lock screen notifications.

9. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

is this a serious question?

10. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

It's all about that GroupMe or simply texting them...

Other than photos, Facebook is useless.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

It sure is...except for those that it isn't.

12. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

Well Facebook offers a nice, free chat service with Messenger. Not everybody has an iMessage, not everybody has a Google+ Account for hangouts...most have Facebook and I personally think its great at what it does.

13. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Some people don't see the need for facebook, that's cool.

But the fact is they have over a billion users and apparently 800 million active mobile users monthly. Being surprised that people still use it, and scoffing at the idea that there would be a need for this is pretty ridiculous.

I like having a separate app for messages because it's clean and to the point. This redesign seems to make it even cleaner and nicer to use. I'm all for it.

And +1 to what everyone said above about keeping in touch with family and long lost friends.

14. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

I didn't say anything about iMessage, just texting. Everyone I know has a number.

15. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

Sure for phones, but iPods, iPads, tablets? Messenger really unifies them all.

16. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Unfortunately, yes. I know a lot of people who use the regular Facebook app, and the Facebook messenger app. I can hardly stand Facebook on the iPhone so I only use that. Occasionally, I'll delete it and just use it on the mobile web, but I get so annoyed with Facebook at times. I'd love to just delete it but unfortunately that's how I keep in contact with some of my family members. They'd rather message me on Facebook then text or call, so sad.