New Facebook picture viewer

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacAodh, Feb 4, 2011.

1. MacAodh macrumors regular

Hi all,
    Just clicked on the facebook page and a picture from a friend of mine came up but with a different look. Tried to reload the page and didn't happen again. Looks like a popup screen of some sort for pictures rather then it appearing embedded... I've circled the forward and back buttons within the screen as well as the close button. The error message came up straight away.

Anyone seen it before?

Attached Files:

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Looks like it's for the high--res photo rollout that's coming sooner or later. cool!

3. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, would be kind of handy if it just came up on the screen like that rather then going to a new page... would make the browsing much quicker

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

As usual all my 'friends' seem to hate it, like with any change to Facebook. They shut up after a while ;)

5. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Better check the small print before you use it. I've heard it applies to the new hi-res photos only but haven't found a reference to that.

Facebook > Terms (at bottom of page) > No. 2 Sharing > No. 1:

"For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it."

Seems they think they can do what they want with your photos.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Thats because they can.

Don't like it? Don't use it.

7. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i've had this "black box viewer" for about a year now, i googled it and turns out they had put the beta on random facebook accounts, unfortunately i was one of them. i can't really say i'm a fan after all this time.

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Thank god my account is now completely deleted.

9. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I don't! :)

10. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    I'm not sure if this was stated earlier, but if you hit refresh after the picture loads in the new viewer, it will go back to the old method. :)

11. kayla1992 macrumors newbie

But how long untill they change that? You cannot even right click and save photos anymore... you have to click "Download this photo" and you don't have the option to chose if you want to download it high res or not, if the photo comes in high res thats the only option to save it as, unlike before where you could just right click and save the photo without downloading a bigger high res version of it..
    Is this a bug? Why did they take away right click on photos? Also, how come you cannot copy link location/copy image url? Will they fix this? I want the option to right click and save photos back, it was easier and it didn't require dragging and moving it to another folder, you could save it wherever you want. With the download button it only saves in your downloads. It's a hassle and annoying!

12. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Don't use the crap, but I imagine it's like YouTube. They keep all the source files somewhere on their network. How do you think it was possible to use the dated HQ option for YouTube videos uploaded since its inception?

13. Mariakaval macrumors newbie

14. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

To go back to the original method without permanently changing it, just right click and open in a new tab/window. It will come up in the old style and you can view them as you used to.

This is great and all, but they still haven't implemented enough features to make managing photos easier. Like batch moving and deleting. There are a lot of pictures on my facebook and most of them are now irrelevant but I'm not going to spend hours getting rid of them.

15. iLikeToDrum macrumors member

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I have a friend who has had the new viewer since early summer. We could never figure out why his was different from everyone else.

17. 184550 Guest

I've had it for about a month now, I don't mind it, in fact, I actually like it better than the old viewer.

18. HacKage macrumors regular

Have to say, I'm not a fan of it at all, and wish they gave you the option to stick with the old way.