Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
It appears all you need to add are a few meta tags, along with the standard viewport tags...
Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0; maximum-scale=1.0; user-scalable=0;" />
<meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes" />
<meta names="apple-mobile-web-app-status-bar-style" content="black-translucent" />

kdarling

macrumors P6
Yay! About time. This should've been in from the beginning of homescreen web icons.

Of course, the totally proprietary meta tags get a zero for a standardization attempt.

Slowly, but surely, Apple is reinventing the Microsoft .hta web app. Now, they just need to give the pages the same power as .hta's, with access to native calls and info.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Safari itself needs a fully full screen option. Maybe a simultaneous tap with two digits to lose/bring up the borders, could be implemented.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Slowly, but surely, Apple is reinventing the Microsoft .hta web app. Now, they just need to give the pages the same power as .hta's, with access to native calls and info.

I doubt they'll do that. Apart from the meta tags you mention, they've taken pains to encourage web apps to comply with open web standards: developing a proprietary web app architecture would be a pretty radical departure from that.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
it works great, except it breaks window.orientation and related window.onorientationchange event.

i read about this coming up a few months ago

i have web pages that load different content when the phone is rotated 90deg and that function doesn't work anymore.
I've set up a quick thing to read window.orientation and it always reads 0 (normal upright)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.