New feature that needs to be added to OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marold280, Feb 3, 2010.

1. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

I love OS X, everything is just amazing.

One thing i think that needs to be added however is the ability to right click in stacks...

I have three stacks in my dock, and the one that really needs it is downloads.

having right click in this stack would be soo much easier, instead of having to open a finder window... ( i know that sounds arsey but...)

Anyone else agree ?

2. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There's lots of stuff that Apple could add to the OS and safari (like sorting bookmarks, cut instead of just copy and paste, etc.). Who knows why they don't.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, I'm I understanding you? Let's see...
    I did a left click on my Downloads stack (set to view as List) then right clicked on an Excel file a friend had sent to me. The file then opened normally in Excel. (OS 10.5.8)
    Are you saying that doesn't work for you? Or is there something else you want to happen?

5. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I would pay for this. It's just gone on so long now, if Apple need me to pay for it as motivation to put such a basic feature in their operating system, I will. :rolleyes:

6. tallguy macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure you just left clicked on everything. Sounds like he wants to be able to right click and have some options actually pop up instead of just opening the file.

The one thing I want added is the ability to drag and drop files from the list view in stacks. I think this would be useful for the downloads folder especially.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I just did it again. Exactly as above. Same result.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Left click or right click, it just opens the file. He wants to have options. Read his post again.

9. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

If you have a Stack set to List view, a left or right click opens the file.

If you have a Stack set to Grid or Fan view, a right click does nothing.

mt

10. smc333 macrumors regular

Yes! I want this too!

Whenever I download files, I have a tendency to want to right click, get info, and inspect that to see what exactly I downloaded (more for curiosity than security), and I'd love to be able to do this from the stacks.

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

There you go. That explains one aspect.

I read it several times initially, and again at your suggestion. I don't see what you see, apparently. But, I'm not reading the part in between the lines.

12. tallguy macrumors regular

The OP wants to have the ability to right click in the stacks (any views i assume) and have options come up just like if you were to right click on the same file in a finder window. For example if you wanted to "get info" straight from the stacks.

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Oh, I see that now.

14. lexvo macrumors 65816

+1

15. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I agree whole-heatedly. But adding info to Stacks (or really the Dock) would probably change basic UI goals, at least from Apple's POV. That strip across the bottom is meant to launch apps or open documents. A right-click get-info probably CAN be done, but it'll take a compelling argument to Apple engineers that it OUGHT to be done.

Good luck,

mt