New features that are a must for 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acfusion29, Mar 29, 2009.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

- Time stamp on all my text messages please.

- Name display... still not sure why the iPhone doesn't support it (at least on Rogers it doesn't)... but a bunch of phones and the blackberry's have it.

Another feature that isn't really a must, but would be nice:

Hide icons, and make hidden ones only appear in moving mode.

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Or how about a folder to move all unused icons into?

3. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Yeah that would work. But to be honest, if I have unused icons, I don't want to see them anywhere on my screen... even if it's in a folder :p

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Maybe Apple should pay the creators of Poof! for something they can use on the official firmware.

5. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

3.0 has it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

You can use the parental controls to show/hide some icons and third party apps depending on their age rating. But I doubt something to hide individual apps will come up. Just remove the unwanted ones from your phone.

6. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I didn't notice a time stamp on all my msgs in 3.0 when I used it, so I apologize.

Name display.. well basically if you don't have the phone number saved in your phone, it will still say who's calling. For instance, if my dads calling me and I for some reason don't have his contact info saved on the phone, it will say his first and last name. Regular phone lines have had this for years, and Rogers introduced it a while ago but it doesn't work on the iPhone for some reason.

7. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I have a solution... If you have icons (apps) that you never use and you don't want to see them... delete them, unless of course its an Apple app, in which case, just make a page at the end for them to go. This is really picky, you have to admit.

I'm pretty sure, no cell phone in the US has this feature, but I might be wrong. I realize you're in Canada, but I'm just telling you why it might not be in there.

8. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Well, I never use stocks or iTunes, so I would love for those to go. And I don't want to put them on the last page cause I like to keep my iPhone clean :)

And yeah, I guess that may explain the name display part. Although I'd still like to see it even though the US doesn't have it. It's actually really useful. When I had a blackberry and the Apple Store called me, it said APPLE STRE instead of the number (which I could reveal for myself afterwards).

9. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see a more informative lock screen with a display that not only shows the time and date superimposed on the wallpaper but also some user defined elements such as weather, stocks, e-mail messages, SMS/MMS, IM's, and so forth. This would eliminate the need to have to unlock the phone, find the correct application, perhaps launch it, and wait for it to load just to check one item of data.

10. stephendoc1984 macrumors member

Emoticons

I would like to see standard emoticons when we type :) for example.

11. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Wrong. It doesn't.

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Eeew. Those are tacky, IMO. I'd like Apple to allow emoji on all iPhones though. That'd be kinda cool.

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

I would love the time stamps on all the texts. It drives me crazy w/o them.

14. Demosthenes427 macrumors regular

Luke1robb is right. There is no option for this on any cell phone networks in the United States. It will either show the phone number or it will say "unknown" or "blocked" if it is a private number.

15. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Agreed.

But, I already have Emoji, so what do I care? :D

16. ITGuy macrumors regular

OS 3.0 Requires Improvements to iPhone Spotlight Search

Hi,

iPhone Spotlight search functionality in OS 3.0 Beta cannot search the body of email messages for keywords. It only searches email header information. Business types and others would like to be able to search for certain words or phrases in email messages.

iPhone Spotlight search also cannot search the Phone Call Log if you need to find particulars for a certain phone number. This would be very helpful for client billing/expense reporting activities at month end.

Hopefully Apple will fix these omissions, as myself and other colleagues regularly perform both of these types of searches on our BlackBerry phones. These Spotlight search improvements will be very helpful to business types, and will help drive adoption/migration to iPhone in the corporate world.

Congrats Apple, on your innovative iPhone and iPod Touch mobile platform!

Cheers,

ITGuy

17. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

I was hoping Apple would do something with the springboard in 3.0. It was a excellent idea when you had 9 apps... But now with the app store flicking through 9 pages of apps is quite annoying.

18. Haephestos macrumors regular

I wish they would add stacks or folders. Also, I wish they would add true backgrounding capability.

19. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i would love a mail indicator on the lock screen, even if it just said 1 new email etc etc

20. Gee macrumors 65816

Surely that can't be true? If you can see the incoming phone number on the phone, then the phone can look this up and see if it's in the contacts and display the name instead....

When I get calls from the US, my iphone tells me who they are.

21. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I don't think you understand.

Here's an example.

A company calls me, I have no idea who they are or have their number saved in my phone... On my BlackBerry it would display:

COMPANY NAME
    ###-###-####

On the iPhone, it just says:

###-###-####

22. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

As the OP says, you don't get it. He is referring to the iPhone displaying the registered user of the telephone line regardless of whether or not an entry for the contact has been programmed into the phone, just like a landline caller ID system.

To the OP: I would not expect to see this offered in the iPhone in any country, and as mentioned before I do not believe any mobile carriers in the U.S. feature such a capability--- with some good reasons (mostly related to mobile phone equipment and infrastructure, family plans, underage users, and privacy).

On a case-by-case basis, there are a number of reverse phone lookup tools on the Internet available to try.

23. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

It's a software thing, so it could be enabled... and I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to do either.

Just because carriers in the U.S. don't support it, that shouldn't really prevent Apple from enabling the service for customers in another country. Sure Apple is an American company, but they do sell the iPhone in a bunch of countries, not just the States, and so other countries (like Canada for this example) have some features that other countries don't.

And I understand that there is reverse phone look up websites.