New 'Filmic Pro' App Coming to iOS App Store Later This Year

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

During its iPhone 11 Pro media event today, Apple detailed a new version of the Filmic Pro camera app. The company used the app to highlight the advanced features of the iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max triple-lens camera system.

The app allows users to shoot with multiple cameras at the same time, offering twice as much coverage on the same take. A compound overlay shows primary and secondary cameras, combining front-facing and rear-facing iPhone 11 Pro cameras.

"Tangerine" director Sean Baker demoed these features, focusing on the way that the iPhone 11 Pro can replace traditional film cameras. You can read more about the all-new features coming to iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max, including the advanced camera features, in our full post.

Article Link: New 'Filmic Pro' App Coming to iOS App Store Later This Year

Reactions: jeremiah256

ke-iron

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2014
I was thinking if I should buy the filmic pro app now at the current price or wait until the update and risk the price increasing. Or is it a completely separate app they’re building and not an update to the current app?

Reactions: timm1027

casperes1996

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
As I understood it this is not a new app. Just an app update. The app was already called FiLMiC Pro, so it's not a new name like this article makes it sound.
[doublepost=1568141422][/doublepost]
I was thinking if I should buy the filmic pro app now at the current price or wait until the update and risk the price increasing. Or is it a completely separate app they’re building and not an update to the current app?

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
This was easily the most impressive feature released today. Most professional DSLR cameras can't even shoot 4k60p, let alone four simultaneous streams. Is this iPhone 11 specific or is there hope for the XS?
I’m quite sure this is hardware as well, mainly the A13’s lower power usage that saves the Phone from catching fire while doing 4x4K video :)

Reactions: dabotsonline

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
I have this app and its amazing but that new update is a game changer and im seriously finally upgrading from my iPhone 8 to this new iPhone 11 pro...

prasand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2015
UES, New York
instagram.com
Though this is a waste for most users and the non-Pro iPhone probably makes more sense ... this is still game-changing.

64gb Pro users might struggle, unless recording to an external drive becomes possible like with iPadOS.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Only thing I didn’t like was when you switch views you tap the screen multiple times, shaking your iPhone and thus the video.

jphall

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
I've had FiLMiC Pro since spring of 2012, so a new app it is not. I have used and loved it for all those years, it has been amazing on my XS Max! Very much looking forward to shooting with it on the Pro Max!

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Does it support iPhone 11?
Its really only one camera less and and a lower res "viewfinder" that set these phones apart, so l would guess that it works. If anything it should run even better on 11 just because of the differences.

whyamihere

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
By "new version" I hope they mean an update to the existing app rather than expecting users to shell out another 15 plus dollars for a new app (Filmic Pro Plus Max S).

smetvid

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2009
was it stated if the phone will record all three (four including the front camera) cameras at the same time or is this just showing a preview from all four and only a master video is recorded and the source for that video is whatever camera angle is tapped on?

If it just records a master switched video then really this is just a zoom lens. A 13mm to 52mm zoom lens. No different than shooting with a zoom lens on any camera and zooming in to get a tighter shot of the subject. Except in this case the zoom lens has hard stops at 13mm, 26mm and 52mm. No ability to zoom to 18mm or 35mm for example to frame the shot just right.

Also while really cool and an awesome technological advance those three cameras are stuck to the same body and framing each is going to be complicated to get good shot composition for each. Either the telephoto is going to cut off something or the ultra wide is going to have a ton of head room. Imagine having a 4x zoom lens on a camera but not being to able to reframe with a tripod pan or tilt. Yes the phone could be on a tripod to help reposition with each camera switch but then this really is just an alternative to a zoom lens.

I would still want two phones so I could edit back and forth and not get any of the tripod moves or shake.

Not every Multicam edit can be done from the exact same position either and can make for a pretty boring edit. Part of what makes a Multicam setup nice is the wide variety of angles and covering of different subjects. Again this is more of a way to select from three focal lengths on a zoom lens instantly then it is a Multicam edit. Its really cool but when you really think of the real world usage it becomes much less impressive.

Now if the phone will record all the cameras at once that could have some interesting editing potential. Basically zoom in post vs having to make those decisions on the fly live. I'm not sure if this is the case however due to the app clearly acting more like a video switcher where you select the active angle.

smetvid

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2009
Another thing to point out is the Apple camera app can already do this. It may not display a preview of each camera but even on my iPhone X there is a button to instantly swap between the two cameras while recording. So Filmic Pro basically is just adding in a live preview of each camera so you can see how each zoom level will look. Tapping on each angle is no different than the camera app and tapping on the 1x or 2x. Even swapping between the front and back cameras is not impressive really and something that could always be done.

We have seen today the updated camera app will allow selecting between all three cameras while recording. So at the end of the day we are really not getting anything new except a live preview of each zoom level. To be honest that live preview is not all that important since its a 2x zoom at each level. I kind of already know what I'm shooting and since the camera angle is exactly the same it really isn't a mystery what I will see at each level.

cocoua

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain

During its iPhone 11 Pro media event today, Apple detailed a new version of the Filmic Pro camera app. The company used the app to highlight the advanced features of the iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max triple-lens camera system.

The app allows users to shoot with multiple cameras at the same time, offering twice as much coverage on the same take. A compound overlay shows primary and secondary cameras, combining front-facing and rear-facing iPhone 11 Pro cameras.

"Tangerine" director Sean Baker demoed these features, focusing on the way that the iPhone 11 Pro can replace traditional film cameras. You can read more about the all-new features coming to iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max, including the advanced camera features, in our full post.

Article Link: New 'Filmic Pro' App Coming to iOS App Store Later This Year
BUT WAIT!!

does this means iPhone is capable of writing in the SSD 4 simultaneous video recordings at 60pfs 4K??

this is insane, we are talking about too much bandwidth for a phone

cocoua

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
We have seen today the updated camera app will allow selecting between all three cameras while recording. So at the end of the day we are really not getting anything new except a live preview of each zoom level. To be honest that live preview is not all that important since its a 2x zoom at each level. I kind of already know what I'm shooting and since the camera angle is exactly the same it really isn't a mystery what I will see at each level.
[/QUOTE]

right this make sense, so all this live preview has been a bit of hype until some explain f it is possible to record simultaneously, which would be really something