New Final Cut Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by overhearyou, Apr 4, 2011.

1. overhearyou macrumors newbie

overhearyou

Hey guys, I'm new here. I have some money to purchase Final Cut Pro Studio. However, it's been a while since the've updated. I've looked around on here and some members seem to think the new version will be out in Spring. I have heard of Apple giving you a discount if you purchase software close to the new launch date. Can anyone confirm the discount? How about confirmation on FCP release? I'm afraid if I don't buy it now while I have the money, I'll spend the loot on something else. Answers? Ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. Cole JM macrumors regular

Looks like this will be a good learning experience on holding on to your cash and saving.

3. Great Dave macrumors regular

New Final Cut? LOL

Even the last upgrade was less than stellar. I really am having my doubts if Apple will get their act together. Apple seems so focused on the i stuff, they seem to have forgotten the pro users.

Have you ever used FCP? Have you looked into Avid's or Adobe's stuff?

4. overhearyou thread starter macrumors newbie

overhearyou

No, I've only used FCP since college. I'm open to hear what Avid and Adobe has to offer. I'm not totally sold on all things Apple. I guess when you first drink the kool-aid, it has to be all or none (in this case Apple). Enlighten me. I'm all ears.

5. robertdee macrumors newbie

robertdee

New Final Cut Pro Imminent

Hi overhearyou,

A select group of professional FCP editors such as Walter Murch were invited to Apple in February and shown the next version of Final Cut Pro. Thought they had to sign NDAs it has been called "dramatic and ambitious" and the biggest overhaul since the original. Steve Jobs has responded a couple of times to emails from people fretting that they were jettisoning the Pro Apps telling them it wasn't true and, in his words, to "buckle up". If it isn't realised around NAB (which is just around the corner) it will be very soon. Due to it being a dramatic overhaul, I would wait for the new version just in case it lands just outside the free upgrade grace period. I would also wait because from the sounds of it, with a huge overhaul, there will be new learning curves so it wouldn't make sense to learn the app twice.

There are a lot of naysayers with regards to FCP and its true it has fallen behind somewhat. This is because it has had to be completely rewritten from the ground up to take advantage of 64bit technology. It has a huge place in the professional marketplace and with people like Murch, The Coen Brothers, David Fincher, etc. being active users, from a marketing standpoint alone for the Apple brand, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot to let it slide.

Sit on your money, lock yourself in a cupboard with your mac, pull up the apple store site on your browser and keep hitting refresh until it appears ;-)

6. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

7. sboerup macrumors 6502

Have a source? I'm fully expecting (based on what I've heard in the past 2 months) that a refresh is coming at NAB. Has there been any concrete evidence that points to this that I don't know?

8. overhearyou thread starter macrumors newbie

overhearyou

Thanks for the intel robertdee. I'll do just that.

9. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

10. overhearyou thread starter macrumors newbie

overhearyou

I just read that link and it left a bad taste in my mouth for Apple. If I read the article correctly, it appears "Apple will be taking over the entire event for their announcement, canceling all other sponsors..."

WOW! Really? Am I missing something or is Apple being an ass? I almost want to go with another editing suite out of spite.

11. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I had a similar reading and it did leave a bad taste in my mouth, but I'm not ready for spite yet. I know others have had similar responses. Larry Jordan posted about this new development on his blog and references this. He seemed as surprised as anybody and he's been fairly in the loop on this (having been one of select few to be at a sneak preview Apple hosted a little while back).

I'm willing to wait a bit and see before I unleash all my spite and spittle. (not accusing you of spittling by any means).

12. overhearyou thread starter macrumors newbie

overhearyou

ha!!:d

13. kolax macrumors G3

I've always used Final Cut. A couple of my friends use Adobe's suite, but I've never used the likes of Premier Pro or After Effects long enough to get used to the GUI, so I always end up preferring Final Cut.

Though I did attend an Adobe seminar couple of years ago where they showed off the newly updated suite, and some of the things After Effects could do with a few simple clicks was incredible.

Looking forward to seeing what Apple has to offer though.

It better not be any of Randy's 'consumer' stuff thrown in though. iMovie is fairly powerful, but the GUI is horrible..

14. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Any news about possible release date? Which month will it be on the market?

15. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

Just or after the WWDC in June.