New firmware 1.2.3 has upset ipod video!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by digitalangel, Nov 29, 2007.

1. digitalangel macrumors newbie

I updated my 30GB iPod video recently to version 1.2.3 of the firmware when itunes said it was available... that all went fine, itunes reports that the ipod is running the new version.... but then it refused to sync to the ipod, stating that 'The iPod cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred (-48)'
    UNKNOWN ERROR?! I only recently moved from windows to leopard, and now already my mac seems to be turning into a windows machine with messages like that!!!! anyway...
    i tried the obvious, hard reset of ipod, and eventually got a different message... one telling me that the ipod was synced with another library, and not with the one on my machine.... which was just not the case... so i humoured it and told it to erase everything and re-sync with this library.. and after that all seemed rosy.
    I've just tried to sync it today, and again it's telling me it can't, 'unkown error'.

Has this happened to anyone else after getting the latest firmware?

I have not yet tried the 'restore' option for the ipod, I thought i'd see if anyone can shed any light first, but obviously that will be my next step if no-one else is having the same problem.

2. digitalangel thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm assuming no-one else has had problems after loading this firmware then?

3. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

I read your thread the other day and was like, "wow, glad mine is working."

should have knocked on wood.

Its a paper weight now.

I got a low battery warning while it was charging. The hole thing crashed, came back up, and now iTunes keeps saying its corrupted.

Even after a restore.

Sending it back in!!!

4. Duney macrumors newbie

So I won't update to version 1.2.3 I guess. Sorry about what happened to you guys!

5. davedecay macrumors member

I updated my 5G with a bit of trepidation.

Sure enough, it showed up in Disk Utility as a generic icon, but it was recognized. I ended up rebooting the MacBook Pro (10.4.11) and it's back to normal.

YMMV.

6. tngisaga macrumors member

I've updated my 30GB iPod to the new 1.2.3 firmware a few days ago, and I haven't experienced any problems that many others have had.

7. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

So I've been playing around with it still, trying to fix it. I got it to recognize it finally, but now when I sync its giving me a required disk not found. Anyone know if its possible to have an iPod hard drive failure?

8. davedecay macrumors member

Drives can fail, but a firmware update shouldn't do it.

Have you tried a Restore?

9. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

A couple actually, ever since it started telling me to. It just actually synced. Maybe it just had a hiccup. Hope so anyways.

10. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

I'm at 1.2.3 on a 60G Video, about a year old, with no problems with anything. I think the update actually cured a problem with videos and some songs skipping.

11. davedecay macrumors member

The other thing to do is enable disk use (if you haven't already) and run Disk Utility on it to repair.

Diskwarrior and TuneTech also fix drive problems, but so should a reformat.

12. digitalangel thread starter macrumors newbie

I realised that when I said i tried all the obvious stuff, i'd actually not thought to restart the mac... I'm still getting used to it (compared ot using winodws) and had fogotten that putting it to sleep is not the same as rebooting :)

It looked for a minute as if it had helped, ipod synced fine... then i got the error message again the next time, but foung that if i ok'd the message... it then went on to sync anyway!!!!

time to restore now i think!

How's yours going zirkle?

13. digitalangel thread starter macrumors newbie

Restore hasn't fixed it :(

Is it worth me trying the disk repair utility? cos this feels more like software than hardware to me...

14. digitalangel thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I tried the disk verify option in the disk utility, and it came up with all sorts of errors, so i repaired, and it was fine.
    then going back into itunes and un-enabling disk use made the errors come back.
    i now think i've found a pattern... if i have disk use enabled... the ipod works fine... if i untick the box that enables disk use, then i get the syncing errors!!!

could other people with the 1.2.3 firmware please try toggling this feature and see if anyone else has the same results.
    and does anyone know why this might be happening?

15. digitalangel thread starter macrumors newbie

:(

it was never going to be that easy was it... error came up again whilst in disk mode...