New firmware for Crucial M4 December 4th

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RedRallyeZ, Dec 7, 2012.

1. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

was just on the site browsing through support tabs and it looks like the new 040H firmware is out.

Basically states incremental improvements, but ever since going of 010G, I have had weird startup issues. I hope this fixes it.

I usually boot through a CD, but for some reason now, I am not getting anything. It shows the crucial logo for a few brief seconds, then a couple pages of code that only stay up for a short time, then a blank, black screen.

Has anyone else had any issues?

2. Blue604 macrumors regular

Which model is your Mac and did you install in main hd bay?

3. RedRallyeZ thread starter macrumors regular

13 MBP 2012. i5. And I still have the optical drive. I installed the m4 in the HDD spot.

I tried another CD and everything worked. still some weird startup issues. and it wont let me update to the 1.1 thunderbolt firmware. I go through the upgrade process and as soon as the computer restarts, it immediately restarts again and still shows me as needing to update.

4. T5BRICK, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012

T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I just updated the 256GB M4 in my mid 2009 MBP and it all went fine. I'll update if I run into any issues.

5. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

For what it's worth, I have a Crucial M4 256GB SSD in my 2012 13" i5 MacBook Pro, replaced 500GB HDD in same slot, and have zero issues with it.

It's still on firmware version 309, without any TRIM enabled.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

7. Kny macrumors newbie

I tried today, but totally failed... I have a boot camp partition with Win 7 64 installed in m4 256GB, MacBook pro 13 early 2011. I used the win exe updater, but when started, it got stuck saying "Finding devices..." It didn't proceed at all for a couple of minutes, so I restarted. And, the device is not recognized any more... Even if I launch the Disk Utility in the OS installer, the ssd does not show up there.

Does anybody have a similar situation? I used my ssd for 10 months with Trim Enabler.

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Stay Away!

Tried to update as per normal and the CD said finding drives and froze there. I tried to restart and boom drive is gone. All I get now is a folder with ? I didn't even press the update button so I don't think it's the new firmware but somehow the boot CD has caused my M4 to vanish into thin air.

9. Kny macrumors newbie

I've managed to recover my m4. I first got out m4 from the internal SATA connector and connected to external FW closure. And, I booted into OS installer from CD. Now, the Disk Utility recognized the drive but reported the file system is corrupted. So, I ran disk repair, and that recovered the drive. I could re-install the drive to the internal SATA after that.

10. RedRallyeZ thread starter macrumors regular

Similar to mine, PAINFULLY slow startups started after 010G. I finally got my 040H to go through last night. Turns out I just needed a different CD. The startups are still slow, so Im going to try a reinstall soon.

Have never had any problems with my drive up until this last firmware install.

11. TechieGeek macrumors member

Just wondering, what's the issue with boting from a drive in the optibay? (Because I had this issue on a 2012 June MacBook Pro, just wondering.)

12. Blue604 macrumors regular

When the MBP wake from sleep, it can't find the ssd. Just freezed. Even rebooting won't work. I had to take out ssd and put it in powered usb external enclosure for 20 min to revive it. You have the same issue? Now I think this is more to do with Macbook Pro optical bay problem, not M4

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...quot-disappear-quot-from-my-system/ta-p/65215

13. daneoni, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Tried a different CD too but still won't find the drive. Somehow, booting into by external backup drive forced the computer to recognise the SSD again. Now i'm wondering if this is a problem with the update utility or the SSD itself.

SSD seemed fine before and has been fine ever since being recognised agaain. Gave me such a panic attack i literally ordered a Samsung 830 replacement immediately but I'm now thinking i should cancel it and just not update my firmware to 040H since the drive has been performing like it normally does.

14. Justinhub2003 macrumors regular

A few weeks ago I bought a Crucial M4 512gb drive because I had such a great experience with my Crucial M4 256gb drive but was just running out of space.

And after just 9 days of ownership of the m4 512gb, the drive failed. It was using 010G which my old drive was not using (it was using the firmware previous to that). The drive and system would freeze and hang for 2 minutes or so when an external HDD was plugged in via USB. But the last day it froze then never came back and when I forced rebooted, the drive wasn't even showing.

I tried to revive it but it was done. I love my crucial 256gb but crucial really let me down with the m4 512gb drive.

So I returned it and bought a Samsung 840 500GB SSD which doesn't have the same long term use as the M4 but I feel pretty good about Samsung SSD's.

So far its been a damn good upgrade with about 70mbps faster writes and equal reads (510mbps Read/334mbps write).

For me, Ill keep the M4 and upgrade to the latest new firmware (because I upgraded to 010G on my 256gb before the other failed).

I loved SSD's but man, I hate when they fail.

15. torana355 macrumors 68020

I recently had to choose between the Crucial M4 and a Samsung 830, i ordered the Crucial but after a bit of reading about the firmware issues i changed my order to the 830, glad i did as i need a stable drive.

16. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I think the Crucial M4 is stable on firmware 309. That one solved the 5100 hour bug, and doesn't freeze up or drop out.

At least, that's the case on the two 256GB M4's that I have, one in a Mac Pro and the other in a 2012 MacBook Pro. I've been able to do anything with both of them as the boot disk, and no problems yet. This is without enabling TRIM, as well.

17. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Heard horror stories on 010G and still a 0309 but no problems what so ever.

18. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

My 128GB M4 has 010G firmware. I am on my 4th day now and I have had no issues at all. No sleep issues, no freezing, etc. *knock on wood* I will wait to update to the latest firmware.

19. Blue604 macrumors regular

20. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

no trim

21. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

TRIM enabled, no problem so far, 10 days (m4 512GB, upgraded FW to 010G); installed in OWC data doubler in 2012 13" cMBP.

Holding off to upgrade to 040H yet as i have no problems;)

----------

BTW, the reason why I'm holding off to upgrade the FW is also that it seems a bit complicated to do it once you don't have an optical drive. Plus, I don't seem to trust the FW upgrade under the OS X.

I guess I would need to pop it out, put it into my PC and install it there... Too much work though... So, as long as it keeps chugging along, I just leave it on with 010G FW.