Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gallinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Canada
I just installed the new firmware update for my mac pro about 1 minute ago. just lettin people know.

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Updates are for the entire Intel Mac line. I have updated my Macbook Pro. Could this have anything to do with Vista ? Is Vista RTM compatible with BootCamp ?

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
No firmware updates here for my Mac Pro..
When did you get your machine? I'm seeing the firmware update in Software Update... it updates the boom ROM to MP11.005C.B04, mine is currently B01

This EFI Firmware Update fixes several Boot Camp and start up issues on Mac Pro computers. If the firmware update doesn't run automatically, open it manually in the /Applications/Utilities folder.

rob5

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2003
Connecticut
When did you get your machine? I'm seeing the firmware update in Software Update... it updates the boom ROM to MP11.005C.B04, mine is currently B01

I got my machine last Wednesday. I checked and it looks like it came with the updated firmware.

daveporter

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
Green Cove Springs, FL
The update installed on my Mac Pro without a hitch.

Being a new Mac user I am always amazed that things just seem to happen correctly on the Mac...that was rarely the case with my PCs running Windows.

Things like firmware updates still cause me to pause but I am finally starting to lose my fear of installing software and firmware. After many, many years of "what to hel- happened this time" software and firmware installs it will take some time for the apprehension to disappear.

Dave

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I could not get it to install using update. When I downloaded it manually and installed it, things worked fine. I have seen other reports of people reporting this problem as well.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Is there any more specific article on what exactly this update does/fixes/implements? The description I saw was delightfully vague.

knome

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2006
after i installed it i noticed windows now supports my monitor during boot up and i also noticed that it causes my computer to freeze during the startup chime.

macMonte

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2006
I lost my bootup chime after updating the firmware, what's up with that? did this happen to anyone else?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
The update installed on my Mac Pro without a hitch.

Being a new Mac user I am always amazed that things just seem to happen correctly on the Mac...that was rarely the case with my PCs running Windows.

Things like firmware updates still cause me to pause but I am finally starting to lose my fear of installing software and firmware. After many, many years of "what to hel- happened this time" software and firmware installs it will take some time for the apprehension to disappear.

Dave

Even so Dave... I've read some horror stories in the Mac world as well. It's usually a good idea to wait a couple of days after any update release before installing it to see if users are finding anything major wrong with it.

daveporter

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
Green Cove Springs, FL
Even so Dave... I've read some horror stories in the Mac world as well. It's usually a good idea to wait a couple of days after any update release before installing it to see if users are finding anything major wrong with it.

I was a Mac user from the Lisa days, through the Mac Plus, through the first color Macs up until 1995 (I think that was back in OS 7 days. I made the move to PCs at that time because AutoCad was no longer being developed for the Mac.

My impression was that Mac OS 7 was only slightly more reliable than Windows 95 at that time. However, OSX is a whole new ball game. OSX, being a flavor of Unix, is in my opinion much more robust and stable than Windows XP. So far, for the couple of months that I have been using a Mac Pro and OSX, I have not encountered ANY issues. This is important to me since I have been installing quite a lot of software and adding a lot of hardware.

Not having to deal with viruses, trojans, spy ware, etc. was the icing on the cake for me.

So, at least for me, the Apple commercials are spot on the money. Also, since the number of PC converts seems to be increasing daily (as evidenced by the new Mac users which are PC converts showing up here in this forum) I'm not alone.

I agree that waiting to see what others experience with a firmware update may be a good idea, however, at least so far, I trust that this time of update will "just work." Guess I may be burned one of these days; I will just have to wait and see. :D

Thanks for your comments though, I do appreciate any information anyone has to offer this new Mac user.

Dave

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Yeah, I've never had any problems with updates. I just figure you might as well let the other people be the guinea pig. :)

daveIT

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
AK, USA
Just a tip...

Most of you probably know this...

I had my Mac Pro on for several days (installing, uninstalling crap moving tons of files from old computer) and tried to install the new firmware. Well, it hung up while it was trying to shutdown and I ended up having to power it off. I booted it back up and luckily, it prompted to install the firmware again.

So just some tips for some of you...

1. Backup up your stuff! I moved all the stuff to my iMac prior to install

2. Have that firmware reset utility burned or on another computer - I had it on the iMac ready to burn

3. Reboot your machine so it's fresh for the firmware update.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.