New firmware upgrade coming for flicker...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hakr, Jan 4, 2010.

1. hakr macrumors regular

...or so I was told this morning during a call to the AppleCare folks...

Supposed to be released by the end of the week.

I suppose this falls into the "for what it is worth" category...

2. knewsom macrumors 6502a

Oh lord. What's next, apple-branded band-aids for scratches?

3. hakr thread starter macrumors regular

Are you suggesting Apple shouldn't bother trying to fix problems with its gear?

4. knewsom macrumors 6502a

Certainly not. I just wish they'd fix the rampant problems with their products before SELLING them.

5. Focks macrumors newbie

What a foolish mind..

Of course it would be better don't having to correct issues.. But once they are here they must try to correct them: that's what they are doing..

6. banya95 macrumors member

A step closer in the right direction. That's good news if one does come out.

7. Bitwise macrumors member

Hrrrmmm? Although there is a part of me that would REALLY like to believe that a firmware patch would resolve these issues, my gut tells me otherwise.

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Something tells me this will not be released this week, it sounds like the Apple support guy may have just said it....

9. tomacintosh macrumors regular

He's probably talking about the one that's just been released :rolleyes:

10. gb1631 macrumors regular

Well I had a flickering screen with occasional nano second blackout and screen tearing on occasion. At Christmas time I took it in (Before the firmware update.)

They were going to replace the screen and the cable. I was told the needed parts were not available at that time. I was aware of a firmware fix and mentioned it to them so they applied the firmware fix and I decided to take the computer home over the holidays and if the firmware fix didn't work come back in for the screen and cable. (Note: I didn't want to ship it back for a new one after reading some of the horror stories here.)

The firmware fix, did not work for me! It continued to flicker and blackout. I advised Apple of this and they said they would call me when the got the parts. (Screen & Cable.)

Today, they called as the parts were in. I took it to the local Apple store (Which is a pain, since it's in a large Mall.) Also, it was raining VERY hard.

I asked if they could do the repairs on and in & out basis. They agreed and they did the repairs in under two hours. I have it home and am tying this message on it.

So far so good! I haven't had a flicker or blackout yet. The new screen hasn't any dead pixels, yellow tinge or other problems that I'm aware of at this moment! So far so good! ;) (Of course I didn't have those problems with it the way it came.)

So, I'll keep an eye on the new screen and cross my fingers & toes and hope that at last I can relax and enjoy this fine computer!

I might add this is by far the best Mac I ever have worked with! I've had a few of them starting with the old box in 1986. The speed and big screen is really great!

11. Bossone macrumors member

I have the same issue: flicker and black out screen. I am interested to hear what my dealer (Apple Authorized Repair Center).

I hope they get it fixed!!!

12. hakr thread starter macrumors regular

Since no one else has heard this, my guess is that it falls into ZERO in the "for what it is worth" category! :D