Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New First Time MAC Owner. How to wipe personal data before exchanging device?

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Last week I purchased my first MAC computer (Macbook Air). I do like it a lot but am now thinking I made the wrong choice and should have purchased a Macbook Pro w/Retina instead. I purchased it at Best Buy because I had some BB gift card credit to put towards it. I am still within my 14 day return period. I need to wipe off my personal data before the exchange.

However I've been a long time Windows user and I easily knew how to restore a factory image and even reformat & reinstall Windows. But I don't have a clue how to restore my Macbook Air to the factory image so that all my personal data is gone before returning it to Best Buy.

I want to ensure that I am doing this correctly before I return it to the store for an exchange. I don't need to backup any of my stuff on an external drive since I didn't install any software after my purchase. I am just worried about my username/passwords and credit card information that has been saved on websites I visited.

Is there a simple tutorial out there that would explain how to do this? Or can someone point me in the right direction to where I can find this information?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Last week I purchased my first MAC computer (Macbook Air). I do like it a lot but am now thinking I made the wrong choice and should have purchased a Macbook Pro w/Retina instead. I purchased it at Best Buy because I had some BB gift card credit to put towards it. I am still within my 14 day return period. I need to wipe off my personal data before the exchange.

However I've been a long time Windows user and I easily knew how to restore a factory image and even reformat & reinstall Windows. But I don't have a clue how to restore my Macbook Air to the factory image so that all my personal data is gone before returning it to Best Buy.

I want to ensure that I am doing this correctly before I return it to the store for an exchange. I don't need to backup any of my stuff on an external drive since I didn't install any software after my purchase. I am just worried about my username/passwords and credit card information that has been saved on websites I visited.

Is there a simple tutorial out there that would explain how to do this? Or can someone point me in the right direction to where I can find this information?
Boot holding cmd-r. Follow the onscreen instructions to erase everything and reinstall OS X.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.