New First Time MAC Owner. How to wipe personal data before exchanging device?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LaurieAnn, Apr 15, 2014.

1. LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

Last week I purchased my first MAC computer (Macbook Air). I do like it a lot but am now thinking I made the wrong choice and should have purchased a Macbook Pro w/Retina instead. I purchased it at Best Buy because I had some BB gift card credit to put towards it. I am still within my 14 day return period. I need to wipe off my personal data before the exchange.

However I've been a long time Windows user and I easily knew how to restore a factory image and even reformat & reinstall Windows. But I don't have a clue how to restore my Macbook Air to the factory image so that all my personal data is gone before returning it to Best Buy.

I want to ensure that I am doing this correctly before I return it to the store for an exchange. I don't need to backup any of my stuff on an external drive since I didn't install any software after my purchase. I am just worried about my username/passwords and credit card information that has been saved on websites I visited.

Is there a simple tutorial out there that would explain how to do this? Or can someone point me in the right direction to where I can find this information?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Boot holding cmd-r. Follow the onscreen instructions to erase everything and reinstall OS X.

3. DerekS macrumors 6502

And as a friendly reminder, it's Mac not MAC. It's not an acronym!

4. LaurieAnn thread starter macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

LOL ok. Good to know. At least I know not to call my iPod Touch an iTouch. I'm learning.

5. LaurieAnn thread starter macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

Thank you snaky69. That's a whole lot easier than what I was anticipating.

6. DerekS macrumors 6502

:) Congrats on your rMBP upgrade, you won't be sorry you made that switch!