Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I got a new flash drive from corsair on newegg and it's the voyagermini flash drive. It's 4GB and I'm trying to transfers from a windows based computer to my MacBook and it's formatted using the FAT32 file system. My MacBook won't even recognize that there is flash drive in the USB drive. It finds my other 2 external HDD and I use one as a Time Machine back up and the other one as just backing up music / movies that I get from iTunes. Any clues as what to do? :confused:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
1) Do you have mounted drives on your desktop enabled? If you have them DISABLED, like I do, you'll need to open a new Finder window to see any mounted disks.
2) Check your Computer view to see if the disk is there but just hidden.
3) If neither of those works, see if Disk Utility will see it. If it does, try mounting it manually and checking it for errors.
4) If that doesn't work either, plug it into a Windows machine and reformat it.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
1) Do you have mounted drives on your desktop enabled? If you have them DISABLED, like I do, you'll need to open a new Finder window to see any mounted disks.
2) Check your Computer view to see if the disk is there but just hidden.
3) If neither of those works, see if Disk Utility will see it. If it does, try mounting it manually and checking it for errors.
4) If that doesn't work either, plug it into a Windows machine and reformat it.
Yes it works on a PC or windows based computer and that's how I got the things I wanted to transfer on the flash drive.
1) I do have mounted drives enabled, because my HDD works for both PC or Mac.
2) I have used spotlight to try and find it. I have also opened up finder to see if it is in there but it isn't.
3) Disk Utility doesn't find it either.
4) Going to see if reformatting it works.

EDIT: 4) Reformatting the drive still doesn't work on a PC powered by windows.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I'm still confused as to why my MacBook won't pick up my flash drive, any suggestions?

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I have plugged it directly into the USB port on the side of my MacBook. :mad:I wanna get Shooter back on my AppleTV and I leave for college on Friday.

EDIT: HAHAHA!!! Since it slides out from the little cover thing. I've been plugging it upside down cause that was the way I thought I had to cause that's how it plugged into my PC and now it works. lol My bad and stupidity.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
I have plugged it directly into the USB port on the side of my MacBook. :mad:I wanna get Shooter back on my AppleTV and I leave for college on Friday.

EDIT: HAHAHA!!! Since it slides out from the little cover thing. I've been plugging it upside down cause that was the way I thought I had to cause that's how it plugged into my PC and now it works. lol My bad and stupidity.

Wait...Do you mean to say you have been plugging in the drive upside down?

That shouldn't have been possible with out some extreme force....You could have damaged the jack...

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
lol.. but yea, plugging it in the wrong way does have drawbacks. usually flash drives have a LED that lights up when it receives a current from the computer usb port. if it flashes or something then that means its working ocrrectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.